Ph test solutions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danr

Reaction score
I have a Milwaukee 102 meter and am looking for test & storage solutions.Any place recommended to buy?I only make 10-20 small batches of wine a year.

Here is one recommendation: labelpeelers.com and look for SKUs 5440, 5441 & 5444. The buffer solutions are 20 mls, good for one test & about $1.75 ea. The storage solution is 230 ml.

I just went ahead and bought bottles of calibration solutions. I keep in the basement where it stays fairly cool and dark. I can re-calibrate as often as I want with fresh solutions. Cost for 2 x 250ml bottles of 4.00 and 7.00 = about $20.00. Those little packets are just enough to test one time and toss it. OR Amazon has multi-packs of the little packets. Lot cheaper to buy them that way.

I have a Milwaukee 102 meter and am looking for test & storage solutions.Any place recommended to buy?I only make 10-20 small batches of wine a year.

Amazon! I bought a combo buffer w/ organizer pack. For the deal I had to get the bigger 16 oz bottles (473 mL). More than I needed.
Package was lost (usps) and replacement sent. (Amazon via FedEx) Weeks later original showed up. Now extra 16oz 4&7 buffers w/ ‘calbox’ are sitting unused in original box. If you want you can PM me to work out shipping details. Bought my storage solution separately on amazon. Only condition is to do whatever little legwork is needed and cost of shipping. Was $24 on amazonView attachment 47053

Last edited:
OK then....before I decide,how often should you calibrate?My guess would be to check using one of the buffers add calibrate if needed?
Thanks folks!

Think that's a good plan. Of course anytime you get an odd reading I would do a quick check with the 4.00 solution first. I keep small test size amounts in glass cigar tubes with caps (Found at the recycling center). Replacing them after a month or more often. Once you've used the meter for a while you'll get an idea about how often to check, and again anytime a reading seems unexpectedly off do a quick check. I'm going to replace my meter batteries soon since it's been a couple of years and lately the readings have strayed a bit more often. If the batteries don't stop the wandering then I'll start doing a check before and after each session and before I get to a critical point like pitching the yeast or bottling. I always like to do a final reading before bottling so that I know what to put on my label. That info is more for me than anyone I give the wine to. Interestingly my $19.95 meter is now selling for $79.95 on amazon. Guess I got a good deal

OK then....before I decide,how often should you calibrate?My guess would be to check using one of the buffers add calibrate if needed?

If you are going to use your buffers for checking then you might as well use them to calibrate it.:)

I calibrate my pH meter at least weekly, depending on how often I'm relying on it for data. Any drift I see is driven by the electrode rather than any electronics, and even then it usually isn't more than 0.05. The degree of shift you see each time you calibrate should determine how often you need to perform a calibration. I would think an accuracy of better than 0.1 is necessary.

It is critical to keep your electrode clean and not let it dry out. If you forget to put it back in the storage solution and it dries out, you should plan on buying a new electrode. At least they are not too expensive. After using the electrode, I rinse it with a caustic cleaner, rinse with distilled water, rinse with citric/sulfite, rinse again with distilled water, and place it back in the storage solution. I change out the storage solution every month or two. My current electrode has lasted over a year and a half so far.

Holey moley-so many good people here!
Ajmassa5983-I can't open your attachment-assuming you have Apera AI1114?
jgmiller1-thanks so much for cleaning & storage info-this should come with unit!
And I'm sorry,cant figure out how to send PM's-not the sharpest knife in the drawer!(red face smiley)

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see, the little packets of liquid buffers are easy to use but expensive compared to 'bulk' in 250 ml. 16 oz, 500 ml etc. AND as you see you can get special storage solutions, and other items to make life easier. Just avoid the packets of powder because then you have to keep Distilled water handy to mix up the buffer solution AND make sure that it is fully dissolved before you can use it.

As to checking vs calibrating.... I check it first with 4.00. If it's close (3.98 - 4.02) I will probably just go ahead. Otherwise when the drift is more, I calibrate with the 4.00, break out the 7.00 calibrate, rinse with Distilled, then return and calibrate with the 4.00 and re-check/calibrate to that. Since wines are always in the lower end I am mostly concerned with that end of the spectrum. (But don't ignore the other of course.) If it isn't drifting much, I just go for it.

One added luxury is to get some pH 3.01 solution (http://www.piwine.com/ph-3-buffer-solution-4-oz.html) to check after you do your calibration. I can't "calibrate" with it since my MW101 uses 4.01, 7.01 or 10.01 solution to calibrate with (pick two adjacent solutions), but it is a nice check to make sure everything went well with the calibration. If it comes up off by too much (0.10 is too much for me to tolerate) I re-calibrate and test against the 3.01 again.

I also use the pH 3 solution as a comfort check, if it reads good in the range between 3 and 4 I'm happy.

Last edited:

How long have you had that pH meter. I ask because when I looked up the solutions on Amazon I also looked up their pH meter. I was a bit surprised that while it has excellent marks, there seems to be almost 10% Who claim bad batteries, corroded probe when received etc. It's almost like the reviewers Love or Hate it. ( Of course there could be some sort of vendetta going on too.)

Last edited by a moderator:
How long have you had that pH meter. I ask because when I looked up the solutions on Amazon I also looked up their pH meter. I was a bit surprised that while it has excellent marks, there seems to be almost 10% Who claim bad batteries, corroded probe when received etc. It's almost like the reviewers Love or Hate it. ( Of course there could be some sort of vendetta going on too.)

Just about a year now. So far so good. It was just sitting unused for about 2 months in storage solution. Turned it on. Quick calibration. Tested 5 different samples and all right on the money.
Only complaint -and it’s a big one- is that it only reads to one decimal.
It’s due for another clean. I don’t own cleaning solution. But manufacturer recommended an overnight soak in distilled white vinegar which Worked like a charm.

Latest posts

Back