Ph meter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granrey

Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can you recommend an economical PH meter?

Also, I did a passion fruit wine. I added sugar to get 18%. After two weeks on primary, I transfered to secondary and tested and it had a bit of a sour taste. I did two separate 1 gal batch, same results.

I did it with a juice box Rubicon Passion Fruit 100% Juice Blend : www.walmart.ca/ip/6000197042518

I know is posible it could be maybe some sign or turning to vinegar for which I'm waiting a week to test again.

Question: if it was not sour at all when I started the process, because I drank a bit to see if I like it. I did not feel any sourness.

Is it posible after fermentation is completed to be more sour than when it was a juice?

Thanks

Sour or tart after fermentation? Definitely it should be tart at the end of fermentation, not tasty. Volatile acidity is rare early on. Go sniff and taste apple cider vinegar. Is it the same as your wine or very, very close? Then you have VA. If not, relax and give it time.

Sour or tart after fermentation? Definitely it should be tart at the end of fermentation, not tasty. Volatile acidity is rare early on. Go sniff and taste apple cider vinegar. Is it the same as your wine or very, very close? Then you have VA. If not, relax and give it time.

how much time in weeks?

After some research and testing. I think is tart.

No time frame; I'm closing on two weeks on the same wine (tweaked kit) that took a week in June.

Tart is fine; in fact what you want. Leave it alone and try to relax. Start something else.
I agree with @VinesnBines.
As the saying goes, "No Wine Before Its Time"
Just check on it every few weeks and give it a taste. This is your best learning tool as to how a wine's complexity changes over time.

No time frame; I'm closing on two weeks on the same wine (tweaked kit) that took a week in June.

Tart is fine; in fact what you want. Leave it alone and try to relax. Start something else.
I tried again today and I cannot keep the damm drink away. At lot of the tart flavor has gone away. I definitely recommend it.

However, I will make a combination with mango and see how it goes as well.

Mango supposedly lack tart flavor. So it should be a good combination.

I tried again today and I cannot keep the damm drink away. At lot of the tart flavor has gone away. I definitely recommend it.

However, I will make a combination with mango and see how it goes as well.

Mango supposedly lack tart flavor. So it should be a good combination.
you said you shot for 18% ABV,,, if so,, you half to counter act to out do your alcohol taste, most all my wines. that I make are a lot hotter then most people do, one way is to go really heavy with your fruit/berry, and/or sweetness, lemon and pineapple are both very good at hiding alcohol, but other fruits & berries need a very heavy fruit/berry to fluid gallon, I'm not sure what your doing, everybody has different ways of expressing things, could that tart be a bite, to much alcohol will give you what i call a bite, but others describe it as rocket fuel taste,,, or your wine is young, a young wine is nothing like a mature wine, the flavors blend together, the wine smooths out, Time & Patience are your two finest ingredients,,, from the day, I pitch my yeast to my must, through racking's into it becoming wine,, I taste all along the way, you'll learn what to expect at every stage of your crafting,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back