PH meter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trolo

Older Member
Reaction score
Hello all .
I am sorry i have been gone for awhile with my house fire my winery is on hold till we get into the house. so I am looking into the future on what i will need to start again.

Sorry if this is somewhere else, but I am looking to get a PH meter and was looking for some reviews on what is good and or not good.
thanks all
Tom

I bought an inexpensive one initially and it serves me well. Initially it was something like $19.99 but now I see the same one going for $45.00.
Can't tell what the best buy is now but keep an eye on the claimed accuracy. I wouldn't buy one that says accurate to .1 accuracy - should be at least in the .05 to .02 accuracy range - at least that's my opinion on them.

Last edited:
I bought a used lab grade meter from eBay. I added a DC power supply and got a new electrode. It has worked great for the last 5 years and only needed a new electrode every year or two.

Extech PH220 has worked very well for me. I only had to replace the original probe once a few years ago because the temp sensor went bad in it.

You do need to let it sit still in the sample for a minute or two to get a stable reading. Very accurate and holds calibration well.

Take good care of the probe.

Hello all .
I am sorry i have been gone for awhile with my house fire my winery is on hold till we get into the house. so I am looking into the future on what i will need to start again.

Sorry if this is somewhere else, but I am looking to get a PH meter and was looking for some reviews on what is good and or not good.
thanks all
Tom

Oh no! You had a house fire? That’s terrible. Hope all works out. Can’t imagine how much that would flip your life upside down. Good luck man.
I use a Milwaukee ph55. Sells for around $55-$85 depending where. Can’t say a bad word about it. Very legit. Next purchase tho will be a meter that reads 2 decimals not just 1. (My cheap $12 meter from amazon however did read 2 decimal places)

I just bought a new meter and so am selling my old Corning Model 140, which works fine. (Just search on Facebook Marketplace for "pH Meter.") Advertized for $75, but I will sell it to anyone here for $50 plus shipping costs.

PH meters have been a problem tool for me. I have an expensive one, which worked until it needed a $70 new probe. I’ve bought the $13 ones and had satisfactory results, but I assume it is like buying Harbor Freight tools; use until broken, which may not be long.

I had a cheap one that was virtually useless. But the Extech PH220 continues to exceed my expectations. Every time I get it out I expect the probe to be dead, but instead find that it is still good and even in calibration.

PH meters have been a problem tool for me. I have an expensive one, which worked until it needed a $70 new probe. I’ve bought the $13 ones and had satisfactory results, but I assume it is like buying Harbor Freight tools; use until broken, which may not be long.
My $20.00 pH meter is still working fine. I think the thing that will die first is the on/off switch. Calibration is needed of course as with all pH meters but the drift between calibrations has remained reasonable so I'll keep going with it until it dies. I do have a new one that I bought because a vendor owed me a heavy discount (Caught them with an error on their promised discount percent) so they offered a really good price and I used that to purchase a new pH meter - just in case.

Biggest thing for newbies like myself was to remember that the cost of pH meter is just a part of it. You have to keep calibration buffer materials on hand as well. That adds a little cost but the piece of mind and easy reading of an digital is well worth that cost.

Hey thanks all. I will be looking out for one and will update on what i get and how it works. well the how it works might take a little time depending on when I get back in action haha.

Oh no! You had a house fire? That’s terrible. Hope all works out. Can’t imagine how much that would flip your life upside down. Good luck man.
I use a Milwaukee ph55. Sells for around $55-$85 depending where. Can’t say a bad word about it. Very legit. Next purchase tho will be a meter that reads 2 decimals not just 1. (My cheap $12 meter from amazon however did read 2 decimal places)
Thanks Ajmassa5983 for the good thoughts. yep its terrible and spins you around some but we are all well and rebuilding the house. so all good
thanks
Tom

Latest posts

Back