ph Meter Storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deboard

Reaction score
OK, finally got my pH meter this weekend, it's the Milwaukee pH56. I'm a little confused about the directions, as there is the instruction manual which says:

"After use store it with a few drops of storage (MA9015) or ph7 (M10007) solution in the protective cap."

BUT, there was another extra card that says:

"This unit will not read properly unless the probe is kept wet all the time. Always store this probe upright and keep the probe stored in a jar or cup of solution."

Anyone have this unit and have any advice? The first one certainly sounds a lot better since I can keep it in it's case. Of course it does not come with the storage solution, so that's wonderful. It came with the 4 and 7 solutions though.

Also one more question:

Either way, it will be in some amount of solution, what's the method for preparing it for use in testing must or wine? Do I need to rinse it first? Or pull a sample and use a separate test vessel?

I'm no expert on ph meters yet. But heres a link to the morewine website and their manual on the care and feeding of your ph meter. Here

I finally saved up enough and bought one just last month

Last edited:
I've been using my Checker for about a year and a half. It comes with a small cap that I keep a drop or two of 7.1 in. Seems to work ok. No cap on yours?

It has a cap, and it would be perfect for putting a few drops of solution in, but I am confused since the instructions say to do that, but an extra card added in the box says to keep it in a cup containing solution. I may just try to keep solution in the cap, since it is much more convenient.

To keep it verticle, I drilled a small hole in a shelf and stand it in the hole.

It has a cap, and it would be perfect for putting a few drops of solution in, but I am confused since the instructions say to do that, but an extra card added in the box says to keep it in a cup containing solution. I may just try to keep solution in the cap, since it is much more convenient.

What the extra card says is completely RIGHT .

The Probe should be always immersed in a concentrated Potassium Chloride Solution , so that

there would be no leakage from the Probe .

Hector

i do something similar to Lurker..a friend drilled a hols in a small block of wood to hold a test tube and i put the solution in there and then the probe/meter

Thanks for all the responses, I think the main thing I see is to keep it moist in the right solution, so I will try to rig up some way to do so. My shelves in my wine close are wire, so no drilling will do, I'll have to come up with an attached cup or something like that.

Latest posts

Back