pH meter dilemma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
Purchased current Hanna pHep 4( I know my first mistake) three years ago for $114. It won't calibrate at this point. The replacement electrode is $59. I found the same model meter new for $84 and it comes with an extra electrode.

Do I leverage my original investment and get the new same model meter and use the extra electrode to repair the original and then have two meters to check against each other?

Or forget the Hannna meters and get a Milwaukee for $130+?

Or get one of the cheapy pH meters for less than an electrode?

I am looking to buy a new pH meter myself, and will probably go with a compromise: a $50 meter with replacement electrodes running about $25. My assumption is the electrodes will last longer than a cheapo, disposable pen type meter. We shall see if my concept is correct or not. :)

Have you tried cleaning the electrode with cleaning solution? I have had very good luck with mine. I started getting some questionable numbers so I ordered a replacement electrode as well as some cleaning solution from Hanna and I cleaned the old electrode (the proteins in grape juice will clog it up over time). I popped in the new electrode calibrated with pH 4 STD and took a must reading. It quickly stabilized. I recorded the results and then switched to the old but newly cleaned electrode and recalibrated and rechecked the must and it was only 0.01 difference between the two.

I am looking to buy a new pH meter myself, and will probably go with a compromise: a $50 meter with replacement electrodes running about $25. My assumption is the electrodes will last longer than a cheapo, disposable pen type meter. We shall see if my concept is correct or not. :)

What brands were you looking at?

Have you tried cleaning the electrode with cleaning solution? I have had very good luck with mine. I started getting some questionable numbers so I ordered a replacement electrode as well as some cleaning solution from Hanna and I cleaned the old electrode (the proteins in grape juice will clog it up over time). I popped in the new electrode calibrated with pH 4 STD and took a must reading. It quickly stabilized. I recorded the results and then switched to the old but newly cleaned electrode and recalibrated and rechecked the must and it was only 0.01 difference between the two.

That's a good call, I'll order some cleaning solution and see what that does first. I only have storage solution. Isn't there a solution that supposedly revitalizes the electrode or is that the cleaning solution as well?

You can also clean it with distilled white vinegar. Not sure if it’s a comparable cleaning to the solution, but worked for me when it was acting funky. And was suggested by Milwaukee
An overnight soak in the vinegar. Should see some junk floating around the next day. I also carefully cleaned some areas with Qtips. Worked like new afterwards.
Tough call with the purchase. Sometimes with Proper care the cheaper ones are just as accurate and long lasting as the pricier meters it seems. Although it’s never a bad idea buying something that’s quality.

You can also clean it with distilled white vinegar. Not sure if it’s a comparable cleaning to the solution, but worked for me when it was acting funky. And was suggested by Milwaukee
An overnight soak in the vinegar. Should see some junk floating around the next day. I also carefully cleaned some areas with Qtips. Worked like new afterwards.
Tough call with the purchase. Sometimes with Proper care the cheaper ones are just as accurate and long lasting as the pricier meters it seems. Although it’s never a bad idea buying something that’s quality.

Will do this evening, thanks

I'm just curious how others clean their probe after use. I always swish it around in distilled water for about 30 seconds or so before placing it in the storage solution. It is the Vimetrica probe and does have a nice storage bottle to keep it in. So far so good for me.

Storage is just that, storage, keeps the probe wet and ions at happy equilibrium. Cleaning will remove deposits that clog up the probe and keep it from reading correctly. They actually make a cleaning solution specifically for heavy wine must use.

https://hannainst.com/hi70635l.html

That's a good call, I'll order some cleaning solution and see what that does first. I only have storage solution. Isn't there a solution that supposedly revitalizes the electrode or is that the cleaning solution as well?

Storage is just that, storage, keeps the probe wet and ions at happy equilibrium. Cleaning will remove deposits that clog up the probe and keep it from reading correctly. They actually make a cleaning solution specifically for heavy wine must use.

https://hannainst.com/hi70635l.html

It's supposed to have a 5 year shelf life for an unopened bottle. I wonder how long an opened bottle lasts.

I'm just curious how others clean their probe after use. I always swish it around in distilled water for about 30 seconds or so before placing it in the storage solution. It is the Vimetrica probe and does have a nice storage bottle to keep it in. So far so good for me.

I have the Vinmetrica also and have a little squirt bottle of DI water I keep with it. Immediately after each use, the probe gets a good squirt of the DI water, followed by a light dabbing off with a soft cloth, and straight back into the storage solution. I change the storage solution a couple times a year. Think it's in 3 year old range, and it always reads very close to the calibration fluids when tested. So far, so good..............

I buy $8 meters on amazon about every 6mo... I dont mess with cleaning solution or storage solutions. It works for me. You probably spend same $$ either way over the years.

Back