pH Meter - Calibration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgareri

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was calibrating my pH meter and the only solution I had was ph 10.01 buffer. I am doing a batch of El Dorado Pinot Noir and OVZ and both had pH in the 4s. When I added acid, the pH dropped initially to 3.5-3.6 range but now after 1 day of fermentation its up to 3.85.

I'm just wondering if the fact I used a ph 10 buffer solution to calibrate the meter makes a difference in the accuracy. Is there anyone who can advise? I am going to pick up the pH 7 and pH 4 packets tomorrow and re-calibrate, but if there's no need I wont' both.

Thoughts?

Hi all,

I was calibrating my pH meter and the only solution I had was ph 10.01 buffer. I am doing a batch of El Dorado Pinot Noir and OVZ and both had pH in the 4s. When I added acid, the pH dropped initially to 3.5-3.6 range but now after 1 day of fermentation its up to 3.85.

I'm just wondering if the fact I used a ph 10 buffer solution to calibrate the meter makes a difference in the accuracy. Is there anyone who can advise? I am going to pick up the pH 7 and pH 4 packets tomorrow and re-calibrate, but if there's no need I wont' both.

Thoughts?

Just my two bits. If your meter requires a calibration using 7 and 4 (and it sounds like it does), I wouldn’t rely on a reading or try to adjust the pH based on it, until it’s properly calibrated.

Thanks .The meter can do 4,7 and/or 10. So I bought 4 and 7 today.

I'm going to degas a sample and measure tomorrow

A general rule of thumb I learned early on in my engineering career, calibrate your instruments as close to the range your measurement will be as possible. Wine is generally below 4, so a 4 and 7 calibration is always preferred over a 7 and 10. But there is another part to that, a 7 and 10 calibration is better than no calibration.

Latest posts

Back