Quantcast

pH Meter - Calibration

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

jgareri

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was calibrating my pH meter and the only solution I had was ph 10.01 buffer. I am doing a batch of El Dorado Pinot Noir and OVZ and both had pH in the 4s. When I added acid, the pH dropped initially to 3.5-3.6 range but now after 1 day of fermentation its up to 3.85.

I'm just wondering if the fact I used a ph 10 buffer solution to calibrate the meter makes a difference in the accuracy. Is there anyone who can advise? I am going to pick up the pH 7 and pH 4 packets tomorrow and re-calibrate, but if there's no need I wont' both.

Thoughts?

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was calibrating my pH meter and the only solution I had was ph 10.01 buffer. I am doing a batch of El Dorado Pinot Noir and OVZ and both had pH in the 4s. When I added acid, the pH dropped initially to 3.5-3.6 range but now after 1 day of fermentation its up to 3.85.

I'm just wondering if the fact I used a ph 10 buffer solution to calibrate the meter makes a difference in the accuracy. Is there anyone who can advise? I am going to pick up the pH 7 and pH 4 packets tomorrow and re-calibrate, but if there's no need I wont' both.

Thoughts?
Just my two bits. If your meter requires a calibration using 7 and 4 (and it sounds like it does), I wouldn’t rely on a reading or try to adjust the pH based on it, until it’s properly calibrated.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
And fermentation producing CO2 will alter your readings. You must fully degas your sample to get a proper reading.

jgareri

Reaction score
Thanks .The meter can do 4,7 and/or 10. So I bought 4 and 7 today.

I'm going to degas a sample and measure tomorrow

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
A general rule of thumb I learned early on in my engineering career, calibrate your instruments as close to the range your measurement will be as possible. Wine is generally below 4, so a 4 and 7 calibration is always preferred over a 7 and 10. But there is another part to that, a 7 and 10 calibration is better than no calibration.