PH levels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been reading allot on what the best levels to keep your PH at I'm making a Saskatoon wine from fresh fruit 3.55 it what i thought was the best but have been ready that to keep it at a lower point would make for a better color and a nicer flavor any thoughts ?? thanks for any input on your experience's :b

3.55 is great for wines. 3.4-3.6 is the normal range. more acidity makes a more crisp flavor and allows for longer storage (aging). less acidity means it will be more mellow and usually ready to drink sooner. IMO, it depends on the type of wine i'm making. if it's an apple or wine that should have a little tart/crispness, i go for 3.45 or so and for ones that i like mellow (berry wines), then i shoot for a 3.55 or so.

Thanks that really helps I have 3 going 2 are sitting around 3.48 the other is sitting at 3.55 today so things are looking good add acid blend to try to bring them up last week it had the opposite effect and was going down instead of up as I'm new at this i found that to be quit confusing so i tried precipitated Chalk and it brot it up instead of down ? lol guess the little thing's are the fun part to figure out sure glad i bot a PH meter :try

Last edited:
Thanks that really helps I have 3 going 2 are sitting around 3.48 the other is sitting at 3.55 today so things are looking good add acid blend to try to bring them up last week it had the opposite effect and was going down instead of up as I'm new at this i found that to be quit confusing so i tried precipitated Chalk and it brot it up instead of down ? lol guess the little thing's are the fun part to figure out sure glad i bot a PH meter :try
The pH scale runs from 0-14... 7.0 is neutral and is the pH of distilled water. Anything lower than 7.0 is on the acid end of the pH spectrum and anything higher than 7.0 is on the alkali end (or base end).
Therefore, adding a strong acid to your solution/suspension will bring your pH down. adding a strong base to your solution will bring your pH up.
Hope this helps.
Oh... welcome to the forum.

yes this has really helped I have been quite worried about the wine it is getting close to bottling wont it just right for X-Mess I'm going to be giving it for gifts hate to give out vinegar lol :slp

if the flavor is good and you want more color (for presentation purposes), you can just add food coloring right before bottling. it should do the trick.

that's interesting any particular kind or # of a color i have no idea about any thing like that ?

You can get the small 4-pack of food coloring from the grocery store. The pack contains red, green, yellow, and blue. With these colors you can make any color you want except white.
I alll you want is to darken the wine a little, just add some tannin... be careful... a little goes a long way. Start with 1/2 teaspoon and go from there.

Latest posts

Back