PH is off in my OVZ (last reading 4.0)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OVZ is about 2 years old In the carboy and is begging to be bottled soon. But, it tastes flat. Color is fine, body is good. I checked the ph with my cheap meter and it reads 4.0. I don’t know if it’s actually that high, but I’ll suppose it could be.

I’m going to the home brew store this afternoon and then recalibrate my Milwaukee ph meter. After that, I’m am going to try some trials to make sure that ph Is in the 3.6 or 3.7 range. But, if I’m doing my math right, I should have about 230g of Tartaric Acid on hand just in case. Really, I’m just looking to get the wine a little brighter and fruitier.

Anyone experience a post ferment ph adjustment like this have any pointers??

To follow up: were it me, I'd calculate what you need to reach your target pH. Then I'd bench test samples at 25, 50, 75 and 100% of that addition.

Went and got what I needed. The Mw102 will not calibrate. Guessing the probe is shot. I recalibrated my Milwaukee pH600 with manual calibration. And, the pH, while still high, is 3.8 and not 4.0. So, if I’m targeting a 3.5 pH, that’s about 172.5g of Tartaric Acid.

Then I went to bench trial 1L of wine, adding 1g of Tartaric Acid at a time. I’m thinking 2g per liter of tartaric acid will do it. The wine was much fruitier, less flat. Don’t think I want to do more. As it dropped the pH to 3.5.

So, the 6 gal carboys will get about 46g of tartaric acid and the 3 gal will get half of that.

Then let them sit a while and see what falls out.

Last edited:
Back