pH is at 3.7 after pressing and heading into Malolactic Fermentation. Adjust?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeto Bronze

Junior
Reaction score
I have made 3 wine kits so far and just moved to making wine from frozen grapes(Brehm). Everything has been exceptional with the process so far. Grapes started off a bit high on both pH and TA but got it down to pH 3.65 and TA 6.75. I pressed the grapes today after a solid fermentation with the pH mostly at 3.6 and a good TA but kind of high at 6.5. I am wondering if I should be adjusting the pH since it is now 3.7. and the TA is about 6.75. I am heading into Malolactic Fermentation in two days after the wine settles and is racked. Any thoughts?

Brehms. Nice. 👌
I wouldn’t adjust if it was mine and was using a strong bacteria. 3.7 is healthy. And you already adjusted once pre-AF. I’d be comfortable letting it ride as is and then upon completion you can reevaluate but I doubt you’ll have any more tweaking to do.
it possible someone may suggest to adjust. I’m no expert. But I like to keep it simple and only interfere with the chemistry as little as possible.

I have made 3 wine kits so far and just moved to making wine from frozen grapes(Brehm). Everything has been exceptional with the process so far. Grapes started off a bit high on both pH and TA but got it down to pH 3.65 and TA 6.75. I pressed the grapes today after a solid fermentation with the pH mostly at 3.6 and a good TA but kind of high at 6.5. I am wondering if I should be adjusting the pH since it is now 3.7. and the TA is about 6.75. I am heading into Malolactic Fermentation in two days after the wine settles and is racked. Any thoughts?
As @Ajmassa noted, it’s best to adjust your acidity pre alcoholic fermentation, then make final tasting tweaks to the acidity down the road. Personally, I’d roll with 3.7, and have some wines bottled in the 3.8’s, years old, doing great.

Thank you for the insight on this. Then I won't do anything to it before MF and see where it goes after. I'm looking forward to this one since it is quite different than the kits I've done. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back