pH Drop after Alcoholic Fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurtoxic

Junior
Reaction score
I purchased a 6 gallon Chilean cab/merlot blend juice bucket (del toro) from M&M this spring. This year I seem to have had a large shift in pH and TA after alcoholic fermentation. PH meter was calibrated before each use and has been very reliable for me in the past. Also I am using fresh NaOH for each TA test. Has anyone else experienced this before? Did I unlock some hidden acidity with this one?

Pre Fermentation
Initial: pH=3.76; TA=2.1 g/L
Adjust: pH=3.4; TA=3.1 g/L; addition of 24g tartaric

Post Fermentation (w/ D254)
pH=3.12; TA=7 g/L

There are a number of things that can cause a pH drop after fermentation. I'll just mention a few . . .

1. Sample not degassed - CO2 will form carbonic acid in solution artificially increasing acid.
2. Pre-fermentation measurement invalid - bad measurement or acid addition not fully mixed/dissolved.
3. Change in buffering components after fermentation. e.g. - drop in potassium and other organic buffers allowing the acid strength to increase.

As GreginND said an increase in acidity is not unusal. Best to monitor it and correct if the wine is overly acidic. I've seen commercial grape wines advertised with a pH of 3.18 so your reading is not way out of bounds.

Also when you post a question on here it helps to give dates/times so that we know how long a condition has existed of when it developed.

(You provided a good amount of info just a little bit more and it will make it easier for others to help you.)

Last edited:
Back