PH and TA readings.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I calibrated my ph meter today and decided to do some testing after work I tested ph and ta for several wines. Let me know if they look to be in order. The Elderberry seems like the odd ball. I need to look at my notes to see what I did.

Noble Muscadine --- PH=3.23 TA .63%
Red Muscadine --- PH=2.82 TA .78%
Carlos Muscadine --- PH=2.98 TA .62% (checked ta twice)
Bronze Muscadine --- PH=2.8 TA .78%
Seyval Blanc --- PH=3.16 TA .62%
Elderberry --- PH 3.63 TA .735% (checked twice)

are you going to backsweeten for balance on the more acidic ones?

Strange PH for Elderberry

I calibrated my ph meter today and decided to do some testing after work I tested ph and ta for several wines. Let me know if they look to be in order. The Elderberry seems like the odd ball. I need to look at my notes to see what I did.

:):):)::):):):)::):)::) you know whats so funny? You did all those tests today and I have a vinmetrica to do all that in my trunk and you paid for it. Too bad I'M a hundred miles a way!

Runningwolf said:
:):):)::):):):)::):)::) you know whats so funny? You did all those tests today and I have a vinmetrica to do all that in my trunk and you paid for it. Too bad I'M a hundred miles a way!

I did the tests so that I could compare the results to the vinmetrica. I'm planning on running all the tests again this week after I get the new piece of equipment so I can determine SO2 levels before bottling.

I will be back sweetening all the Muscadine and the elderberry is already back sweetened.

ShawnDTurner said:
are you going to backsweeten for balance on the more acidic ones?

Strange PH for Elderberry

Shawn, I will be back sweetening most of the at least a little bit. The elderberry has already been back sweetened to 1.00o8. The taste on all of them is good and the tå on the elderberry is where I was shooting for according to our taste. The elderberry ph is what threw me off being high with a high tå. All the others seemed in line to me.

I'm not familiar with the type of grapes but I have had some screwy ph/ta readings in the past. While they are related, they don't always play well together. I place a lot more stock in ph readings than ta. And I would suggest going on taste. Either way as a winemaker those numbers will drive you to drink!

IMHO, Your Red Muscadine and Bronze Muscadine are too acidic and you need to raise the PH on them.

I checked the SO2 on on the Elderberry with the SC300. Based on that it is saying my current FSO2 is 96 ppm. Accouding to the app I have to get to a desired .8 MSO2 (mg/l) my current readng is more than sufficient and lists the MSO2 at .89 (mg/l) Based on this, can I be confident that the wine will be preserved if I were to bottle now?

LOL

Doug,

a (mg/l) is basically the same as a (ppm) at the density of wine. So depending on the pH of the wine is sounds like you have way more than enough SO2.

Just remember that SO2 levels are pH dependent. The lower the pH, the less SO2 is required to protect the wine.

I checked the SO2 on on the Elderberry with the SC300. Based on that it is saying my current FSO2 is 96 ppm. Accouding to the app I have to get to a desired .8 MSO2 (mg/l) my current readng is more than sufficient and lists the MSO2 at .89 (mg/l) Based on this, can I be confident that the wine will be preserved if I were to bottle now?

LOL

Doug,

a (mg/l) is basically the same as a (ppm) at the density of wine. So depending on the pH of the wine is sounds like you have way more than enough SO2.

Just remember that SO2 levels are pH dependent. The lower the pH, the less SO2 is required to protect the wine.

Ph is currently 3.84. According to this chart, I should be good just wanted to confirm.

Free SO2 (ppm)
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]13 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]16 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]21 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]26 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]32 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]40 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]50 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]63 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]79 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]99 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]125 [/FONT][/FONT]
pH
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3.0 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3.1 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3.2 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3.3 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3.4 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3.5 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3.6 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3.7 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3.8 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]3.9 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]4.0 [/FONT][/FONT]

Hey Doug, I agree with Mike. I think you'll be tasting meta. i also use the Winemaker Magazine Calculator daily. Regardless of what the calculator says, I will never go over 60ppm.

I always go for 50 ppm at bottling. I prefer limiting sulfites in my wine but I use them in sufficient quantities to reasonably preserve the wine.

Latest posts

Back