Finer Wine Kit Petite sirah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We drank a bottle of the petite sirah Forte. I fermented it for 24 days and its now just shy of 1 year old. I liked it but my brother whose pallet is more refined than mine said its didnt taste like any petite hes ever had. He said it was sweet and didn't dry out his mouth. It was fermented down to .996 so there isn't any residual sugars.
Should it be very tannic/astringent?
I still have it bulking in a 5 gallon carboy. Can I add tannins?
I didnt think it was sweet but definitely fruity and not "spicy"

If the final specific gravity was under 1.000, then the wine is dry. But kit wines can be very fruit-forward (which I prefer) so I have had people tell me a dry wine tastes sweet to them. I would be very careful in adding tannins to a kit wine. I don’t enjoy the pucker factor that so many think is the sign of a good wine (which IMHO it’s not). You can buy a petite Syrah and make a comparison side by side and see if your brother is right. And, even if he is, if you like it, why worry.

If the final specific gravity was under 1.000, then the wine is dry. But kit wines can be very fruit-forward (which I prefer) so I have had people tell me a dry wine tastes sweet to them. I would be very careful in adding tannins to a kit wine. I don’t enjoy the pucker factor that so many think is the sign of a good wine (which IMHO it’s not). You can buy a petite Syrah and make a comparison side by side and see if your brother is right. And, even if he is, if you like it, why worry.
Very true. Just figured if it wasn't the way it should be id try to fix it before bottling

@Vlabruz -- is your brother's palate more "refined", or it is that his experience is with oak-aged Petite Sirah, so he's expecting something different from what you made?

@Nydia's comment is spot on -- if the wine fermented dry, then it's dry. "Fruit" and "sweet" are totally different, but less experienced people may not recognize the difference.

Did you bulk age with the included cubes? If not, next time add the cubes (1-1/2 oz, I think) and bulk age at least 5 months. DO NOT bottle on kit schedule -- bulk age. Leave the cubes in the full time, knowing they are expended at ~3 months. It doesn't hurt to leave them in.

Last edited:
@Vlabruz -- is your brother's palate more "refined", or it is that his experience is with oak-aged Petite Sirah, so he's expecting something different from what you made?

@Nydia's comment is spot on -- if the wine fermented dry, then it's dry. "Fruit" and "sweet" are totally different, but less experienced people may not recognize the difference.

Did you bulk age with the included cubes? If not, next time add the cubes (1-1/2 oz, I think) and bulk age at least 5 months. DO ON bottle on kit schedule -- bulk age. Leave the cubes in the full time, knowing they are expended at ~3 months. It doesn't hurt to leave them in.
I did include the cubes. Not sure actually when I racked them off

You may also consider punching up the oak a little if you like added smoke, vanilla, or coffee flavors to your wine. In addition to the included cubes, I usually add a spiral of M+ toast Hungarian oak to my PS. Finally, to answer your question directly - yes, you can add finishing tannins to your wine. Search morewine.com and look for tannin complex, tannin riche extra or tannin FT rouge. See if one of those flips your cookie. And, if after 3 months the added oak isn't enough, consider another 3 months with your tannin of choice.

We drank a bottle of the petite sirah Forte. I fermented it for 24 days and its now just shy of 1 year old. I liked it but my brother whose pallet is more refined than mine said its didnt taste like any petite hes ever had. He said it was sweet and didn't dry out his mouth. It was fermented down to .996 so there isn't any residual sugars.
Should it be very tannic/astringent?
I still have it bulking in a 5 gallon carboy. Can I add tannins?
I didnt think it was sweet but definitely fruity and not "spicy"
You may also consider punching up the oak a little if you like added smoke, vanilla, or coffee flavors to your wine. In addition to the included cubes, I usually add a spiral of M+ toast Hungarian oak to my PS. Finally, to answer your question directly - yes, you can add finishing tannins to your wine. Search morewine.com and look for tannin complex, tannin riche extra or tannin FT rouge. See if one of those flips your cookie. And, if after 3 months the added oak isn't enough, consider another 3 months with your tannin of choice.
What yeast did you use?
I have found that RC 212 gives a fruit forward taste of sweetness. I enjoy that more than having my mouth feeling like velvet from a lot of tannins. That’s me but everyone has their preferences .
Unless you’re purchasing very high end grapes from Napa, Sonoma or Sassuin the wine won’t taste like those from there. That’s why they charge $50 and up a bottle, I’ve tried for 50 years and enjoy my wine for what it is , I love it and buy those Wine Country bottles for special times.

Latest posts

Back