Petite Pearl yeast selection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCBurg

Reaction score
Man I am posting a lot lately, it must be getting close to wine season....

Anyways I am making petite pearl this year and I have picked a few candidates for fermentation yeasts. I will be picking and crushing probably late sept. Or early Oct. because it’s a late ripening grape, and I live in Southern WI as well. Being that I am a novice winemaker with little experience with various yeasts I thought I would reach out to the knowledge base.

From what I can gather P. Pearl will ferment to dry anywhere from 13.7 - 15% ABV, it has a generally low pH and high TA so I will be doing an MLF coinnoculation.

Here are the candidates:
White labs: WLP740, 749, & 750

Lalvin: BM 4X4

Red Star: Pasteur Red

Wyeast: 4946

My petite pearl has the highest pH and lowest TA of any red variety I grow. My goto yeast has been RC-212, which is similar to Premier Rouge (aka Pasteur Red). I used Premier Rouge in 2016 and 212 in the two years since. This year I am giving ICV-D254 a try. I have never used any of those other yeasts on any wine, so I can't say anything about them.

2019 chemistry: Harvested 09/25 - 09/28, 3133 GDD
pre-harvest sample: 21.7 brix, pH 3.27
must sample: 22.7 brix, pH 3.44, TA ???

H

My petite pearl has the highest pH and lowest TA of any red variety I grow. My goto yeast has been RC-212, which is similar to Premier Rouge (aka Pasteur Red). I used Premier Rouge in 2016 and 212 in the two years since. This year I am giving ICV-D254 a try. I have never used any of those other yeasts on any wine, so I can't say anything about them.

2019 chemistry: Harvested 09/25 - 09/28, 3133 GDD
pre-harvest sample: 21.7 brix, pH 3.27
must sample: 22.7 brix, pH 3.44, TA ???

H
BigH sorry it took me a bit to get back to you, as chance would have it the RC 212 was exactly the one I used. I had picked up the premier rouge as well but I opted against it when I saw a couple packets of the 212 in my fridge

Latest posts

Back