petite pearl wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found out that I will be getting 10 gallons of frozen petite pearl juice today. I have not been able to find anything in WMT about making Petite pearl wine. Has anyone made it? is there a preferred yeast? any tips. ideas, suggestions?
This was a complete surprise to me so I am scrambling a bit here,

There are several folks growing Petite Pearl and making wine. Search using only “Pearl” and sort through the posts.

I've no personal experience with Petite Pearl, but the description is a heavy red. For that I'd use Lalvin RC-212 or Red Star Pasteur Red, as they are good for varietal character.

It's juice, so it's not going to be a heavy wine like you'd get from grapes. I'd add 2 to 4 cups shredded medium toast oak prior to fermentation to help preserve color and increase body.

Thanks for the tips. I just received it, opened the pails and discovered that it's not juice as I was told, it is frozen whole destemmed grapes.
also, looking through the forums I found some comments that petite pearl is acidic and very tannic. I can't check the ph until it's thawed so I don't know yet what this batch is like.

The grapes are now thawed and there is 6 1/2 gallons. 26 Brix and Ph 3.56. The comment I found about acidity must have an exception unless this is the exception. In any case thee acidity looks good and the juice tastes good, no bitterness at all. I don't know if excess tannin is something you can taste in the unfermented juice but I don't know if there is any test that can be done for tannin.
I will be using avante yeast. I used that with Marquette grapes and the result was wonderful.

The grapes are now thawed and there is 6 1/2 gallons. 26 Brix and Ph 3.56. The comment I found about acidity must have an exception unless this is the exception. In any case thee acidity looks good and the juice tastes good, no bitterness at all. I don't know if excess tannin is something you can taste in the unfermented juice but I don't know if there is any test that can be done for tannin.
I will be using avante yeast. I used that with Marquette grapes and the result was wonderful.
I too have marquette and petite pearl vines. Read about Avante yeast and would like to try, where can I find this in smaller quantities?

I've got 6 gallons of PP in carboy going on 2 years old. Advice given to me on this forum for petite pearl was to be patient--so I wait. I also fermented some Marquette and Foch last year that I'm toying with the idea of blending.

I've crushed Petite Pearl and Marquette and made wine.

The RC212 is good for the Marquette ferment, but must be fed nutrients about 2 days after the start of ferment and maybe a little afterward. The Pinot Noir Red is part of the Marquette grape DNA. The Marquette can be too acidic for some, but the old Pinot Noir bottles of wine had to be acidic to grow so old and still have a "bright" mouth feel. IMO

If your starting Marquette or Petite Pearl PH juice level is good, then you shouldn't have to do anything to tame down the acidity to ferment it.

I've used BM4x4 to ferment the Petite Pearl. To me, it resembles some of the wines from Spain. The Petite Pearl starts off tannic but will mellow with age. I've blended the Petite Pearl with 30-percent Marquette 70-percent Petite Pearl and it turned out great.

Parallel 44 wineries of Wisconsin used to post the blend mixtures of their Hybrid grape wine. I'm not sure if they still do.

Parallel 44 wineries of Wisconsin used to post the blend mixtures of their Hybrid grape wine. I'm not sure if they still do.
They still do. Their Nouveau Rouge is a semi sweet blend of Frontenac and PP. they also make a pretty good Marquette.

ETA. Their “M” is probably the best Marquette varietal I have tasted.

I can vouch for @Vern ‘s field blend… I hope to make something as good 😋. I’m adding Frontenac to the vineyard next year to go with my Marquette and PP.

Last edited:
They still do. Their Nouveau Rouge is a semi sweet blend of Frontenac and PP. they also make a pretty good Marquette.

ETA. Their “M” is probably the best Marquette varietal I have tasted.

I can vouch for @Vern ‘s field blend… I hope to make something as good 😋. I’m adding Frontenac to the vineyard next year to go with my Marquette and PP.
Glad to hear the ideas from other people growing and making wine from these French Hybrid grapes. Everyone I give a bottle to tells me how good the wine was and how different it is compared to other wines they drink.

I now field blend 25% Marquette, 25 % Verona and 50% Petite Pearl. This blend is very good and many say its one of favorites.
Glad to hear this, I'm planning to do similar, but with more Verona than anything.

This year I've only got small quantities so I'll be blending with Frontenac Blanc too and making a rose

Thanks for the yeast and blending advice! I‘m hoping to get my first real harvest off of 4 year old Marquette and Frontenac and 3 yr old Petite Pearl. I’m excited, nervous and worried they won’t get enough sugar because they seem behind getting ripe.

Thanks for the yeast and blending advice! I‘m hoping to get my first real harvest off of 4 year old Marquette and Frontenac and 3 yr old Petite Pearl. I’m excited, nervous and worried they won’t get enough sugar because they seem behind getting ripe.
Do you have any Brix readings? I’m curious because these are the exact grapes I’ll be working with.

My Marquette is at 23 Brix now, but I focus on acid more. You can always add sugar. My ph is 3.2. I use a yeast that metabolizes about a third of the malic and MLF consumes most of what’s left. Huge difference between my early vintages that didn’t go through MLF and my 2021 vintage. Im hoping for 3.6 ph in the finished wine. Good luck with yours, I’m harvesting next weekend rain or shine

Latest posts

Back