Petite Pearl Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyR

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone has made wine from Petite Pearl grapes? If you have can you PLEASE pm me. Have many questions. Thank You.
TonyR.

I'm very interested in this sort of grapes, but so far I can not plant it and am looking for all possible options for obtaining vines or cuttings. You could describe the taste and smell of the wine, what positive and negative qualities.

I racked my PP for the 3rd time a few days ago. Filled a few bottles and put the rest back into carboys to age till this years picking. Now this is just my opinion but I am VERY happy with this wine. I would say it is on par with a lot of west coast wines. It has a deep red color, noticeable tannins, not over powering but nice, fruity aroma, nice spicy grape taste and a VERY pronounced and long lasting berry after taste. As anyone who grows grapes and makes wine east of the Rockies and north knowes HIGH acid is a problem. This wine has a Ta of 6.8 and the Ph 3.7. Again very happy

Many thanks for your description. So far I am very excited about PP. Recently I read about the fact that the PP has been growing for a very long time. Do you have an opinion on this issue? How many vines do you have PP?

The PP grapes are owned by the grape breeder. It is not legal to propagate your own vines. You need to purchase from a licensed nursery. Tom has worked for years to generate this and his other newer varieties. He deserves the small royalties he gets from their sales.

http://www.petitepearlplus.com/purchase-vines.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Petite Pearl has not been growing a "very long time". It has not been released for over 5 or 6 years. As Greg said you will need to find some legal source of vines as it is a protected variety. He is a private plant breeder and deserves to get paid the small royalties he gets.

I know about Tom's work and his right to royalties. For me, the problem is that the nurseries do not have licenses for sales outside the US and Canada. I'm ready to buy and pay royalties, but I do not have that option.

I contacted him. He did not have a definitive answer to my question. He simply said that he can not yet find a nursery that would like to cooperate with him. My proposal to create such a nursery was left unanswered.

Since you are from Russia you may have a challenge getting vines over there, not because it is Russia but because it involves moving plant material around the world. Things involving plants and animals aren't as straight forward as letting people go from country to country. Countries other than the originating countries try to make sure they don't let in other diseases or insects into their environment. That can create disasters because there may be no known way to control it in that new land. There generally is a quarantine period and much paperwork involved to do it legally. It may take a while, but some day someone will go through the hurdles and get it there and it may be available at that point to purchase. Good luck.

Yes, I understand about possible problems and quarantine of plants and animals. But I also know that the majority of grape vines that are planted in our country are imported from Italy, France, Germany, Serbia ... So it is possible. I also know that you can freely tolerate cuttings, since the plant lacks roots. Thus, there is a constant exchange of plants from abroad. I also hope that different novelties will soon be available, including legally with the payment of royalties to rights holders. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back