WineXpert Petit Verdot secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I have had the WE Petit Verdot in secondary for 15 days and the SG is 1.01. The chart in the instructions says after 10 days the SG should get to .992 to .996. Is 15 days too soon to panic? What do y'all think?

If your room is cool it takes longer than stated, mine always do . Shoiuldn't be a problem. also check your hydrometer with plain water to see if it shows 0.
GO BLESS< Ed

I agree. What is your room temperature? What is the temp of the wine?

That is a mighty fine wine! If the temp is low, you are going to have to get the temperature up to 75 F or so just to degas, so you might as well raise it up now, so fermentation can complete.

Is the SG changing at all? If it's been 1.001 for a week, then I think you need to try and get the yeast moving. Give the wine a stir and/or splash-rack it into another carboy, along with warming it up. If none of that works, there are other options like racking the wine onto a yeast bed from another kit (right after you rack from the primary of the second kit).

I think we need to know not just the current SG, but also whether is still slowly progressing (in which case there is not need to do anything) or if it's stuck where it is.

The room temp stays between 73 and 76, the wine temp tonight is 75. the SG now is .994 rightr in the middle of the target of .992-.996. seems like a big jump in 24 hours. will check again tomorrow and really don't have time to rack again until Sunday. That will give me a few more days to make sure it is stable. Y'all agree?

OK, so it's moving and you don't have any problem at all. No reason to even check it tomorrow. Give it a few days to a week, check again, give it a few more days, check again. Since you are still moving, there isn't any reason to rush to clarify, just let it run. The yeast know what they are doing :h

Make sure you give your hydrometer a spin when you drop it into your test tube. It helps to detach any bubbles that can throw off your reading.

The manufacturer doesn't want your wine to sit stagnant without any protective additions for an extended period, but yours is not stagnant and an extra week isn't going to hurt anything at all. There is also pressure on the manufacturers to advertise a "6 week wine kit" or whatever. Ignore all that and let your hydrometer pace the process.

I'm just repeating my local wine shop guy:

"Let the wine tell you when it's done, not the other way around".

Last edited:
Back