PET carboy handle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Miller

Junior
Reaction score
Anybody use one of these handles? Do they work? Not the orange ones that attach with screws but the blue plastic one that slips under the lip on the carboy neck. I understand that you have to support the carboy on the bottom but am just looking for an easier way to move 6 gallon PET carboys. Thanks!

Carboys (plastic and glass) fit well into milk crates. The crates make it pretty easy to carry them around, harder to tip over, easy to tilt to one side during rackings, and harder to damage by setting them down too hard. If you set the crate/carboy assembly on a square dolly, it's a lot more stable as well.

A bad back is my main issue. A 6 gallon carboy that is too low to the floor makes it almost impossible for me to lift onto a table for racking. I don't know if a milk crate would be high enough for me to lift onto a table?

A bad back is my main issue. A 6 gallon carboy that is too low to the floor makes it almost impossible for me to lift onto a table for racking. I don't know if a milk crate would be high enough for me to lift onto a table?

Then you need to consider getting a pump to do the lifting of the wine for you. You will find many (and richly deserved) recommendations for the Allinonewinepump. It is particularly useful if you have glass carboys, plastic can be made to work, but not if you have to lift the wine from the floor to a table height.

Just to make it a trio, consider the AIO, you'll never have to lift a carboy to rack, bottle, transfer, etc., it's a backsaver in a little bundle...........

Thanks for the replies. I will have to decide whether I can justify the cost of a hydraulic cart or the AIO.

We got a little off your question about the handle, didn't we? :p Sorry. Any chance you have a link to that handle? I'm not familiar with them.

Must be this one, right?: BetterBottle (Better-Bottle) Fermentation Products BetterBottle PET Carboys make ideal fermenters for home winemaking and home brewing

handle-blue_close.jpg

Back