Pest identification

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinifera

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a new backyard grower and have my first pest infestation.
Can anyone help me identify what these are?
Any advice on how to treat it (organically)?
Thank you very much.aLNVAwXsTnevKh+iXzanuA.jpg

Are those aphids? In orchards, it is not recommended to use sevin for aphids. It kills too many aphid predators. Not sure if that is a concern for grapes.

Admire Pro provides excellent control of aphids in apples. It is used on grapes for control of phylloxera, leafhoppers, and asian lady beetle. Malathion is also commonly used to control aphids in other crops, and is labeled for use on grapes. Unfortunately, the pest control reference I use doesn't talk about aphids in grapes.

H

Aren't aphids the primary foodsource of ladybugs?

You could buy a few thousand quite cheap and let them have at it.

https://ask.extension.org/questions/237179

There are various formulations for organically controlling aphids in grapes, or any other crop. Most of them are mixtures of water and soap, with other amendments as desired, such as cooking oil. I have also seen references to adding rubbing alcohol, hot pepper and even peroxide. A standard recommendation coming from USDA is as follows:

liquid dish soap - 1 teaspoon + on cup of vegetable oil (shake vigorously)+ I quart of water,

You can also purchase and release predators, such as lady bugs, but this would probably be more practical for a larger vineyard rather than just one vine. You could also purchase Neem oil, or Safer brand insecticidal soap.

Also check for ants. If they are transporting the aphids to farm them then perhaps a small ring of Sevin at the base of your vine and/or ant bait.

Was an issue for me until I went after the source. Kill the ants and the aphids will stop showing up.

Latest posts

Back