Persimmon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upper

Reaction score
Well I pitched the Lalvin 118 tonight on the 1.092 S.G. Persimmon mash.I added half of the sugar in the rec. and am supposed to add the other half in a couple days.I think I will have to consult Sid before I add more sugar.Anyway my starter is off to the races.I used this yeast mainly for the low temp. rating for fermintation.It is getting a little chilly here.On the otherhand I really do not want the 'FUEL"....SID?...........Upper

A S.G. of 1.092 will give you a 12% alc. content and you've only used half the recommended amount of sugar yet you don't want the FUEL??? What is your aim in alc. content?

I am thinking 14%abv,Sacalait.What would you do or recommend? Thanks....Upper

If it were mine I'd leave it alone. With a little lower alc. content the wine will be drinkable much sooner. If you're determined to achieve the 14% level then take a S.G. reading now and add enough sugar to bring it up two alc. points from where it is now. Example, if it is now S.G. 1.060 then add enough to get it to S.G. 1.075. Refer to the scale on your hydrometer and look at potential alc. versus the S.G. reading.

Update

Well I scraped the skins (if you will) into a 2 gallon pail,and filled the main 6 gallon pail to about 5 gallons with simple syrup.I added 1/4 teasp. of both cinimmon and cloves to the 2 gallon pail.This pail will get fed til it quits.And when it is done I am going to make cookies.....Dig-it Upper

how did the wine turn out upper? i'm going to try to make some persimmon wine this season. i'd like to spice mine too but i'm afraid of overdoing it. do you have any suggestions as to the proper balance? also, from everything i've seen about persimmon wine making, it looks like you end up with a looot of pulp in proportion to juice. how do i get more juice out of it? a press? puree?

Last edited:
how do i get more juice out of it? a press? puree?

I tried persimmons in a press and also a food mill. I was unable to get juice either way. I did get very nice pulp that oozed out. When I made my must I just crushed the Persimmons and then sprinked it with peptic enzyme and campden. Let it sit about half an hour then added water and sugar. After 12 hours I pitched my yeast. It is in the secondary now. The must is a light yellow color. I'll let you know how it turns out in a few years ;-)

Latest posts

Back