Persimmon Wine Stink, can I get rid of it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coreyman

Junior
Reaction score
Ok so I just pulled the top on my primary to do a little taste testing after 3 days OG 1.074 and it's now 1.020. I'm using wild persimmon that are growing natively right now here in Texas. The persimmon naturally have a little stink to them but they taste great. Is there any way I can get the stink out of my wine? It does not smell like sulfur or anything.

(xposted from another forum/site that has had no answer)

I've never made this before, but I did find two different stands of wild persimmon this summer so I will be making it this fall. (where are you at in TX btw? I need to know how soon I need to revisit these stands)

I've found that splash racking and age gets rid of a lot of funky odors.

What exactly does it smell like?

I've never made this before, but I did find two different stands of wild persimmon this summer so I will be making it this fall. (where are you at in TX btw? I need to know how soon I need to revisit these stands)

I've found that splash racking and age gets rid of a lot of funky odors.

What exactly does it smell like?

I'm in East Texas right now, was in Houston area couple months ago. It just smells a little musty, hard to describe.
Edit: How often should I be racking?
Also my wine tastes pretty acidic (maybe its not acid but bitterness? idk im not a wine connoisseur). This is my recipe. http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54893

Last edited:
Sounds like the persimmon stink. Gym bag dirty sock sort of smell. Shows up around day 3-4. Search "Persimmon wine variations" here. It's a long thread but you will find there everything that DIDNT work for me.

You can minimize it. Limit to 3# fruit per gallon or so. Bananas seem to help. Keep the fermentation temp down. Carefully step feed. Oak chips in the primary may also help.

Not to discourage you but I've never been able to get rid of it once it starts.

Last edited:
Sounds like the persimmon stink. Gym bag dirty sock sort of smell. Shows up around day 3-4. Search "Persimmon wine variations" here. It's a long thread but you will find there everything that DIDNT work for me.

You can minimize it. Limit to 3# fruit per gallon or so. Bananas seem to help. Keep the fermentation temp down. Carefully step feed. Oak chips in the primary may also help.

Not to discourage you but I've never been able to get rid of it once it starts.

That's what I was thinking. Thank you very much for the advice! :) I'm fermenting quite hot, it's hot here in Texas and i don't have a fridge for it to sit in. Have you tried that clay stuff?

That's what I was thinking. Thank you very much for the advice! :) I'm fermenting quite hot, it's hot here in Texas and i don't have a fridge for it to sit in. Have you tried that clay stuff?

I pretty routinely add bentonite on day 3 for whites. I don't think I can say one way or the other what effect this has on the smell.

I'm in East Texas right now, was in Houston area couple months ago. It just smells a little musty, hard to describe.
Edit: How often should I be racking?
Also my wine tastes pretty acidic (maybe its not acid but bitterness? idk im not a wine connoisseur). This is my recipe. http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54893

I normally rack when sediment is over a 1/2 inch, but from what I heard about persimmons, it sounds like you would be racking ALL the time if you went by those rules.

@Stressbaby , any advice here on racking?

I normally rack when sediment is over a 1/2 inch, but from what I heard about persimmons, it sounds like you would be racking ALL the time if you went by those rules.

@Stressbaby , any advice here on racking?

Nothing special...I rack at my usual times, around a week after moving to carboy and again in about a month. It settles out pretty quickly, I wouldn't have time to rack every 1/2 inch!

I racked 7 days after initial fermentation and got the bulk of all the sediment and twice since two days apart. It's just cloudy right now.

Latest posts

Back