persimmon question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onetoomany

Reaction score
just strained from primary ..and its a milky white..is this normal?i thought it would be orange..i did use ripe persimmons but of the pucker you up kind..i hope i dont end up with pucker wine:s

If the persimmons are not fully ripe - they are horrible tasting. I the astrignent taste is from the tannins - may have to wait a bit longer to drink.

the pucker up kind as you call them LOL are not considered ripe until they get hit with a frost just like frost grapes. I've eat these thnigs for years and if they haven't been frosted they will pucker you up, if you put them in a freezer for about 3 or 4 hours and let them get almost froze then take them out and let them sit for a day at room temp. they will be sweet odd I know but it works did it with frost grapes this year.

note: you can find some of the persimmons that have fallen on the ground at times will taste ripe but I think it's where they are starting to rot not ripen as most will have a bad spot on them least all the ones I've ever seen do

i did freeze them..and thaw them..this morning went and tasted it..i dont even want to waste the time..straight down the drain...going to stick to apples,pears,cherries and berries...and skeeter pee ...no persimmon,no maple,and no vegitables..but too each his own

to each his own I guess not sure why it would be white

Persim. makes a good white wine ,not an orange wine.It takes a few rackings but it will clear.Tell us how you made it.In fact I am going to have a glass of last years model now....Upper

need to add my 2 cents on this on ,i picked some 3 weeks ago and were orange .half were too green they were firm.. old folks said put em in a paper bag or a bag of corn meal to ripen. they turned out great.

I just strained my persimmon must yesterday into a secondary and was very surprised at the color also. I don't know why I was surprised because I could see it in the primary when I was mashing down the cap. I'm always expecting divine intervention I think. Anyway it was white going through my siphon tube but once it got into the carboy it's a weird yellow color. I tasted it and was pleasantly surprised.

Persimmons are persnickery. This is my first batch of persimmon wine but I have used them for jelly and baking. One unripe persimmon will spoil the entire batch. I am hoping the wine would be more forgiving with anything that is not ripened to perfection.

Picking persimmons is a labor of love. I'm talking about the wild ones. If you pick them unripe you must leave them out on the counter to ripen and that takes about a week. Ripe; they are deep orange and shrively and their caps will come off easily. Tree ripened, they fall from the tree and then the wild critters eat them immediately. They are very delicate so they won't last long on the ground. But if you are lucky enough to gather tree ripened ones they are so delicious. Much sweeter and have a better consistancy than the ones ripened on the kitchen counter. I have read to wait until the first frost but here in Texas they ripen before that.

Latest posts

Back