Perseid Meteor Shower

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
For anybody who is a star gazer - get ready.

Perseid meteor shower peaks August 12-13, 2010, Moon conditions ideal for spectacular meteor shower.

The best time to observe meteors is from midnight until dawn.

Yup - you can probably see them now - i think it started in mid july. The morning of Aug 12-13 are just the peek viewing times.

You will be fine with you eyes.

I have a telescope that i will also be using.

Might be hard to use though - as the magnification is so great that the meteor might be to quick to get in the view finder.

Will try it out though.

Back in the late 80's my kids and I just came out of Pizza Hut when we saw a huge fireball soar across the horizon. It lasted about 10 seconds before going out of view. Later that night we saw on the news a meteor had hit a woman's car in New York.

I told my kids that's what we saw. They still remember that to this day.

I remember this from back in 1992...

Link

peeks-mrsknapp-edit.jpg

peeks-ray-driveway-edit.jpg

peeks-meteorite-edit.jpg

That was the one! Didn't realize it was in '92
it was really cool soaring across the sky. What was interesting was at the time not knowing what it was till later.

My dad and his brother saw one hit the ground back when they were young. The next day found it in a small burnt area of grass in the woods near their house here in Fla.
About the size of a baseball. I believe my uncle still has it.
I always try to see the shower that comes in November every year. We've got to the point we have way too much light pollution to see the sky really like it is.
I have a fire department next door to my house and I can read a news paper in my bedroom from the lights they leave on outside.
Bugger lights we've always called them.

I live away from the city out in the country - so we don't have to worry about the lights - we actually get a pretty good view of the stars at night.

Spent the last twenty minutes outside. Perfectly clear night and saw only saw one shooting star. Its still early out as it is only 10:25. They say between midnight and 5am you will be able to see up to 100 an hour.

I have a bunch of kids on their way out here right now. We live plenty far from city lights. I saw three in about five min. last night about 10:30. It is still well over 90 degrees, humid as hell and not a breath of air moving. Oh Boy. I might dig out a couple hundred feet of cord and take a fan with me. And maybe a glass of wine to boot. Good night John Boy
Brad

Yeah I'll go back out in about an hour and lay on my back and see if I get lucky, and see some falling stars. Constellations and planets are very clear.

Saw a few a short time ago but now it is clouding over - darn! Had two young nieces out so at least they saw some.

It is cloudy here - had some storms - it is starting to clear out - so hopefully it clears out in a few hours and i can see some!!

I would have checked it out last night but I was out like a light by 9:45. Maybe tonight or I'm up at 5 ususally. Might get to see something then.

Latest posts

Back