People wonder why I drink? Cuz of NUTTY STUFF like this! Car folks, in here!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree it sounds crazy, I know I wouldn't be happy.

I can't help but imagine that there is more to the story that is not being told. Where or who did he buy the car from, and is there a title or some verifiable ownership paper trail? I realize with an old car it's not always easy to trace if the vin number is questionable. I don't know how it was done back in '59, sometimes the vin number was stamped in other locations on the vehicle, but I assume they checked into this. I suppose if nobody is reporting a stolen '59 Corvette then they should give it back to this guy.

Yeah, it is easy to decry "government overreach" or "beyond ridiculous." But I imagine one would not be happy to buy an ostensibly "clean" car that turns out to be, say, a salvage car that had another car's VIN tag slapped in there.

Yeah, it is easy to decry "government overreach" or "beyond ridiculous." But I imagine one would not be happy to buy an ostensibly "clean" car that turns out to be, say, a salvage car that had another car's VIN tag slapped in there.
The law is not so bad, it is the application of it in this casde that is crazy. Laws are supposed to be interpreted by a judge and ruled on using a little common sense.

The deal is, many restorations use common pop rivets to replace that VIN numberplate after the body has been prepared and painted (my own included). This is a case of taking the letter of the law too far – way out there beyond common sense. The man has been deprived of his property for four years! That's overreach. If the state found the VIN to be illegitimate, it should have simply refused to title or tag the car, rather than impounded it.

The truly sad part is that if he instead had run the car through one of the states that did not have titles back in 1959, a simple bill of sale would have gotten it a new title, and then he could have turned that title in for a Kansas one, easy peasy. I've done that, too.

Back