People leaving the hobby?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started making wine and beer during the Corona pandemic. Wine I can only make once per year after the harvest of the grapes. Beer I can make all year long and I am now selling my beer to a local pub. I ferment beer and wine in the same cellar but brew outside.

View attachment 91151
You guys are great. I thought I really fell into this hobby hard. My 53 gallons in 5 months is just child's play. This picture particularly will really help me demonstrate this fact. 'Look dear, I haven't even begun, yet.' 😂

You guys are great. I thought I really fell into this hobby hard. My 53 gallons in 5 months is just child's play. This picture particularly will really help me demonstrate this fact. 'Look dear, I haven't even begun, yet.' 😂
The response was, 'I am glad we don't have a basement, otherwise you would be much further along. Wouldn't you say?' 😄

The statement is likely quite accurate.

I see far more people getting out of beer than winemaking.
I make beer and wine, beer is just getting to expensive to make, for me to make a good stout or IPA looking at $70-$80 for 5 gallon batch. at least with wine 🍷 I can wait till a certain fruit is in season and buy it cheap.

I make beer and wine, beer is just getting to expensive to make, for me to make a good stout or IPA looking at $70-$80 for 5 gallon batch. at least with wine 🍷 I can wait till a certain fruit is in season and buy it cheap.
If you start to buy a bit more of the ingredients, you find out that there is lots of margin left to negotiate or in my case, I just started buying the malt directly at the maltery/malthouse. Grapes for the wine I make I buy per pallet. Prices then go down drastically.

The response was, 'I am glad we don't have a basement, otherwise you would be much further along. Wouldn't you say?' 😄

The statement is likely quite accurate.
Well if. you dig a big basement (wine cellar) for the missus over her new attached “she shed” you won’t have to worry about flooding the wood floors when the pipes are defective

I'm seeing posts from 2 or 3 newcomers each week -- I haven't kept careful count, but it's a fair number of folks. The admins might be able to provide an average number of newcomers each month.

Regarding selling, the couple I purchased my press + demijohn's from hadn't made wine in years, and moved the equipment with them twice, then decided to not do that again. I suspect folks selling equipment recently are more focused on the upcoming season, so this is a good time to sell.

Latest posts

Back