Pen-Type pH Meter Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Hi, I finally broke down and bought a pen-type pH meter (online). It measures pH as well as shows the temp. The range is from pH 0.00 to 14 with an accuracy of pH +/- 0.01. Unfortunately the darn thing did not come with the standard buffer solution for testing/calibrating. The instructions call for testing/calibrating with pH 4.00, 9.18 and 6.86 solution. Are these readily available at my home brew shop or do I need to buy them online? Also, what pH range should I be looking for in my reds? Thanks for the help.....

You will want most wines to be in the 3.5 +/- 0.3 range and the calibration solutions will be carried by your LHBS or online. If you calibrate less than once a month I'd suggest buying the solutions in 20 ml packets since it has a shelf life of several months once opened.

Red wines in the 3.6-ish range and whites in 3.2-3.4 (ish). But it all comes down to taste and other factors like ABV, tannin, etc.

I get my calibration solutions from Amazon. With Prime membership, they are pretty reasonable. Usually use 4.0 and 7.0 (or 4.01 and 7.01).

I get my calibration solutions from Amazon. With Prime membership, they are pretty reasonable. Usually use 4.0 and 7.0 (or 4.01 and 7.01).

Ditto. And get the Liquid NOT the powder! I originally cheaped out and bought a bunch of powdered solution from china for maybe .20 cents each. Turns a simple thing into a project. Such a pain. Go liquid.

You can get a nice kit with four, seven, and storage solution from Amazon at a reasonable price.

Latest posts

Back