pectin enzyme for raisins? Ginger wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeflections

Reaction score
I made an experimental gallon of ginger wine 77 days ago and it is was a success. It is now clear and aging beautifully but the ferment had slowed to a stop midway, then I got it restarted and it finished up at .996.

I used ginger powder and white sugar and energizer and acid blend and nothing else besides k-meta. It has a wonderful taste, if you like ginger like I do.

Now, I'm starting a 5 gallon batch with the same recipe, but I have decided to add 15oz of golden raisins. My question is, should I add pectin enzyme for the raisins, and if so, how much would you recommend? Any other tips would be appreciated.

i use pectic to break down my fruits or berries, the pectic package should have how much for so many gallons, so you can add or subtract to fit your needs, i break my raisins down by chopping or blending then freeze them the freezing helps break the cell walls then the pectic helps break down it even more,
Dawg

i use pectic to break down my fruits or berries, the pectic package should have how much for so many gallons, so you can add or subtract to fit your needs, i break my raisins down by chopping or blending then freeze them the freezing helps break the cell walls then the pectic helps break down it even more,
Dawg

Thanks Dawg! I can always count on you for a reply.

I chopped the raisins up, but I didn't freeze them. I guess it would seem that the amount of pectin enzyme used would be determined by the amount of fruit rather than the gallons of liquid. Since I am only using 15 oz of raisins in 5 gallons of fruit-free liquid, a regular dose would seem to be too much.

Do you know what happens if you use too much enzyme? The mixture is sitting in the primary with k-meta and I was going to pitch the yeast after 24 hrs - this evening. Unless I hear different, I will add 1 tsp of enzyme.

Do you know what happens if you use too much enzyme? The mixture is sitting in the primary with k-meta and I was going to pitch the yeast after 24 hrs - this evening. Unless I hear different, I will add 1 tsp of enzyme.

I can answer this on, poetic enzyme it's one of the winemaking ingredients you can overuse with no harm. Anytime I do an apple or pear wine i always add two or three times as much as the label calls for. Pear, in particular needs a lot to break up and remove all that pectin.

I can answer this on, poetic enzyme it's one of the winemaking ingredients you can overuse with no harm. Anytime I do an apple or pear wine i always add two or three times as much as the label calls for. Pear, in particular needs a lot to break up and remove all that pectin.

Thanks. I kinda figured this but thought I should check. I appreciate the info.

Latest posts

Back