pectin enzyme for raisins? Ginger wine

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

reeflections

Reaction score
I made an experimental gallon of ginger wine 77 days ago and it is was a success. It is now clear and aging beautifully but the ferment had slowed to a stop midway, then I got it restarted and it finished up at .996.

I used ginger powder and white sugar and energizer and acid blend and nothing else besides k-meta. It has a wonderful taste, if you like ginger like I do.

Now, I'm starting a 5 gallon batch with the same recipe, but I have decided to add 15oz of golden raisins. My question is, should I add pectin enzyme for the raisins, and if so, how much would you recommend? Any other tips would be appreciated.

hounddawg

Dawg
Reaction score
very N.E. Arkansas in the instep of MO, BOOTHILL,,
i use pectic to break down my fruits or berries, the pectic package should have how much for so many gallons, so you can add or subtract to fit your needs, i break my raisins down by chopping or blending then freeze them the freezing helps break the cell walls then the pectic helps break down it even more,
Dawg

reeflections

Reaction score
i use pectic to break down my fruits or berries, the pectic package should have how much for so many gallons, so you can add or subtract to fit your needs, i break my raisins down by chopping or blending then freeze them the freezing helps break the cell walls then the pectic helps break down it even more,
Dawg
Thanks Dawg! I can always count on you for a reply.

I chopped the raisins up, but I didn't freeze them. I guess it would seem that the amount of pectin enzyme used would be determined by the amount of fruit rather than the gallons of liquid. Since I am only using 15 oz of raisins in 5 gallons of fruit-free liquid, a regular dose would seem to be too much.

Do you know what happens if you use too much enzyme? The mixture is sitting in the primary with k-meta and I was going to pitch the yeast after 24 hrs - this evening. Unless I hear different, I will add 1 tsp of enzyme.

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
Do you know what happens if you use too much enzyme? The mixture is sitting in the primary with k-meta and I was going to pitch the yeast after 24 hrs - this evening. Unless I hear different, I will add 1 tsp of enzyme.
I can answer this on, poetic enzyme it's one of the winemaking ingredients you can overuse with no harm. Anytime I do an apple or pear wine i always add two or three times as much as the label calls for. Pear, in particular needs a lot to break up and remove all that pectin.

reeflections

Reaction score
I can answer this on, poetic enzyme it's one of the winemaking ingredients you can overuse with no harm. Anytime I do an apple or pear wine i always add two or three times as much as the label calls for. Pear, in particular needs a lot to break up and remove all that pectin.
Thanks. I kinda figured this but thought I should check. I appreciate the info.

Latest posts