pectin enzyme for juice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeflections

Reaction score
I'll be making wine using concentrated juices from Homewinery.com for the 1st time. I thought I start with their recipe but after reading over it and seeing that it included this chart that said the sweetness of the final wine was determined by the initial sugar added, I lost confidence in the recipe:

==============================================================
Decide how sweet you want your wine this table gives you an idea of sweetness in relation to amount of sugar.
Sugar in Lbs.
Dry Wine 6
Semi-Dry 8
Semi-Sweet 9
Sweet Wine 10
=========================================
So I guess I need to create my own recipe or find another that uses juice only since I have always used fruit or berries.

My 1st question is do you use pectin enzymes if you are starting with just juice as their recipe calls for? I will be making Blueberry, Apricot, Cranberry, and Passion Fruit from these juices.

My understanding was the pectin enzyme was for drawing out as much juice from pulp as possible. Is there another reason for it?

It reduces cloudiness from proteins. I have made some very good wine from those concentrates. I add dried fruit, Aldi's cherries or mixed berries. I don't depend on the recipe, but rather SG readings. I start reds @ 1.103

Back