Pectic enzyme

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Keefer

Junior
Reaction score
I started a 5 gallon batch of muscadine wine and didn't realize I was almost out of pectic. Do you think there would be a problem adding it when I receive it later after I have already added yeast. I have about half of what I need and my order will probably be here in 2-3 days. I will be adding the yeast tomorrow.

heatherd

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
You'll want to add all the pectic, and then wait 24 hours before adding the yeast.

Keefer

Junior
Reaction score
I guess I'll add what I have and go with it. Really don't want to let the must sit for 3 days.

heatherd

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. If needed, I believe you can add more pectic after fermentation is complete.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. If needed, I believe you can add more pectic after fermentation is complete.
I think "they say" you can add pectic enzyme after the yeast has fermented the sugars but I believe that alcohol denatures the protein that breaks up the pectins and so I cannot understand how the suggested solution is to add about 3X the amount of enzyme you would normally use.. coz if the issue is denaturing then how adding more would help, I don't know..

http://winemakersacademy.com/pectic-enzymes-wine/

Last edited:

heatherd

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
@BernardSmith Not sure either. I read the article and didn't see the 3X information....

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Folk wisdom is that if you add pectic enzyme after you have added the yeast and after the fermentation has started you need to add two or three times the amount of enzyme you would normally add if you add the enzyme to the juice or fruit before the yeast was pitched..

Loghousewines

Just like wine
Reaction score
I'm doing a kit with grape skins included. The kit came with pectinase. My research showed that pectinase basically helps breakdown fruit and also removes the pectin haze. My kit instructions has me adding the pectinase at secondary fermination with grape skins removed. My question is wouldn't it be more benificial to add the pectinase with the grape skins to aid in better extraction of juice and color?
If the pectinase is added with grape skins would I need to added another dosage after removal of grape skins to remove the pectin haze?

Cellar Classic Winery Series 18L Chile Syrah

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a peach that I didn't use pectic and of course it is not clearing. I put it in a cold box at 40* and it is still not doing much. If I would choose to add pectic would I want the wine to be warmer?

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I removed the wine from the cold box and added the Pectinase on Sunday. It still hasn't started clearing. It's about 3 months old now and I filtered it about a month ago. I don't have a problem waiting I just don't want to do nothing if it's not going to clear.

Smok1

Reaction score
I had a apricot wine that didnt clear for months, thinking it was pectic haze i gave it another does of pectinase, still nothing, i hit it with another dose of sparkloid and it cleared in 1 day. Hard to get a good picture because its at the back of my carboy rack and i dont want to pull it out, but its so clear you clear you can prefectly see my rack through it

65E52708-5C00-4C73-AF5C-C140BF1E0E0B.jpg

Venatorscribe

bucket chemist
Reaction score
No problem doing what it is you want to do with pectinase. It is highly effective at all phases. Even some months following fermentation.

Latest posts