Pectic Enzyme

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u01dtj6

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to attempt making my first 'red' wine tomorrow, and was wondering if you could give me some advice on whether or not I should add pectic enzyme to the must. Here is my anticipated recipe to make 1 gallon:

2 x 2ltrs welch's red grape juice (from conc.)
2lb sugar
water to fill and mix sugar to make a syrup
wine yeast
1 tsp yeast energizer

And I will put all this in a 1 gallon carboy and anticipate leaving it a few months before I rack it.

Do you think it is worth adding pectic enzyme? Or anything else that could help a good fermentation?

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, pectic enzyme will help to break down skin and cell membranes in fruits. Since you are starting from straight juice concentrate and there shouldn't be much if any real fruit matter, I don't think that pectic enzyme would do much for you. Have you looked at other recipes for Welch's wine to see what components were consistently used?
- Jim

I always add pectic enzyme to my fruit wines, whether from concentrate or from fruit. The pectin DOES carry over to the juice (ever made jelly? some types of juice need less pectin added than others!). I would - and do - use it to be safe from the dreaded pectin haze.

Pelican,

Good to know (no, I do not currently nor plan on making jelly). Thanks for that.

- Jim

i hope you are using the frozen 100 %. i think the bottle stuff has preservatives that can kill the yeast.
i also always use pectic enzyme when making my welches .
it shouldnt take a few months on the yeast- it should be set under lock after a few days to finish fermenting though. the few months on the yeast may be a mistake i think.
smiley1.gif

Pectic enzymes will also help stop what is called a pectin haze which is a clouding of the wine which is hard or impossible to remedy without pectic enzyme.

I also always use P/E if I start from fruit or juice. Also, Scotty is right, the first racking should be 7 to 14 days, depending on the SG (below 1010). After that you can rack it every couple of months until clear - or you help it clear.
VC

If in doubt - use the pectic enzyme (if you have it on hand). But for the techie minded types who want to test for the presence and relative amount of pectin in the juice, there is a simple test:

This is from the extension service ~

Test for Pectin—If jelly is to be made without added pectin, it is a good idea to test the

pectin content of the fruit juice with this easy method. Measure 1 tablespoon of

rubbing alcohol into a small glass. Add 1 tablespoon of extracted fruit juice

and let stand 2 minutes.

If a good solid mass forms, enough pectin is naturally present in the fruit

juice to form a pectin gel. If only a small weak mass forms, there is not enough

pectin to form a gel and a commercial pectin should be used in the jelly making.

Do not taste this mixture.

Latest posts

Back