pectic enzyme too early?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmdbama

Junior
Reaction score
hello all. first post. i'm doing a relatively close recipe to Jack Keller's 3rd strawberry wine. i misread the instructions and added the pectic enzyme when adding all the other adjuncts/tannins/ etc... rather that waiting. What, if any, issues can I expect?

You should be fine. Pectic enzyme doen't work well with k-meta. Usually you would wait 12 to 24 hours after that to add p.e. Then wait another 12-24 hours to add yeast.

If you added either at the same time it won't work as well.

I would add a little bit... I think the extra falls out with the lee's anyway. I always add extra to peach and apricot. I never never noticed an off taste as a result.

i'm not too worried as i juiced the berries first, then put the separated pulp in the bag. years of jelly/jam making has taught me that the natural pectin doesn't really set in unless heat is applied to the seeds. i'll see how it goes from here. if i did add a little pe later, at what stage should i try it?

Pectic enzyme does not work well in the presence of an active yeast fermentation. Most recipes add everything inc campden/pectin and yeast nutrients up front. you then wait 12 to 24 hours to pitch the yeast.

if you haven't added the yeast.. wait 12 to 24 hours to add it.

if you have added the yeast up front already..add the pectic enzyme again once all fermentation is complete..it will clear any pectin based haze. ( 1 teaspoon per gallon of completed wine)

Allie

Allie is right.

Pectic enzymes perform without no problem at all in the presecnce of sulphite, tannin and alcohol.

Sorry djrockinsteve you are wrong. Sulphites at the right level do not inhabit the enzymes.

Look at my experiments here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/01/avonturen-op-het-pecto-pad-deel-2.html

So fermentation inhibits pectic enzymes.

So the way to treat your must is:

day 1
- add pectic enzymes
- add sulphite

wait 24 hours

day 2
- add acid, sugar etc to bring the must up to the desired level
- add yeast or preferably a yeast starter.

Luc

Latest posts

Back