Pectic Enzyme question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryano

Wino in training
Reaction score
I've read several recipes lately and some say to let must set for 12 hours before adding pectic enzyme and some add right from the start. Can I get some thoughts on what some prefer?

It is said that pectic enzyme doesnt work well along ith the initial addition of sulfite which supposedly counter acts some of the usefulness of the enzymes so that is why most of us wait 12 hours to add it and then another 12 hours before adding the yeast.

Pectin E first, then the other additives, then the yeast, right?

Everything but yeast and pectic first including sulfite, wait 12 then add pectic, wait 12 then add yeast!

This is an old thread, but I found it helpful. I have been questioning whether it is really necessary to add Kmeta and then wait 12 hours to add pectic enzyme. If Kmeta is harmful to pectic enzyme there would be two possibilities:

1. The Kmeta would destroy the pectic enzyme
2. The Kmeta would inhibit the pectic enzyme, but not destroy it

In the case of #2 it would be no problem to add the enzyme at the same time as Kmeta, since once enough SO2 dissipated it would begin to work. In case #1, it would be important to wait before adding pectic enzyme, at least if the Kmeta levels were high enough to destroy it. According to the experiment done by Luc above, that might not be a problem.

I have not seen any solid evidence that #1 is the case, so I plan to return to my original method of adding pectic enzyme and Kmeta together at the beginning. Why make this more complicated than it needs to be?

Latest posts

Back