Pectic enzyme query

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Jones

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all, yet another question from me,

Firstly thank you all for your help so far, I have gained so much knowledge thanks to you all.

I have recently posted about a watermelon wine I am making

I have recently racked it off into carboys, but the liquid is rather thick.

I was advised to add some pectic enzyme, so I bought 50g of it in powder form

I have added 1 tsp of powder per 5 litres of wine

Have I added enough/too much and how long should it take to start breaking down the liquid?

Hmm, I'll wait for some of the experienced guys to answer your question but I thought that pectic enzymes were added to the must 12 to 24 hours before pitching the yeast. I'm thinking you need a clarifier or fining agent to clear it now...Sparkolloid, Super Clear, gelatin, etc.,. But, I could be wrong and PE might work now. :?

You could also try cold crashing it...holding it for a week or two at a very cold but not freezing temperature to cause the suspended particles to fall out of suspension. A refrigerator works as does some cold weather...just don't let it freeze. Lots of people use cold crashing to clear their wine and prepare it for stabilizing and bottling.

Hey all, yet another question from me,
I have added 1 tsp of powder per 5 litres of wine

Have I added enough/too much and how long should it take to start breaking down the liquid?

Pectic enzyme is one of those things that you can add at almost any time, though most of us add it at the beginning. I normally add 3 tsp to 5 gallons, but I don't think you have added too much. It takes several days to work. You could dose it again later as well.

Based on what I've read, you can add pectic enzyme any time.

Here's the catch.. As the alcohol level rises, it's less effective, so you might have to add twice as much, if you didn't do it before fermentation started.

Back