Pectic Enzyme....How much to use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael77

Junior
Reaction score
Pectic Enzyme is used by commercial wine makers to break down must....Any suggestions on how much Pectic Enzyme to use to break down the must per gallon?....What is the safe shelf life of Pectic Enzyme?.... thanks....

Different enzymes call for different dosages. It’s not a lot.
At arms reach I’ve got 2 different packages here calling for .1g/gal and .075g/gal and jar of pectic enzyme saying 2tsp per 5/6gal.

Unsure of shelf life. But I did use enzymes that were purchased either 6 months or a 1 year earlier I forget. Foil Package was opened and resealed with tape. It did not seem to have the effect it typically does. After that told myself will always purchase fresh and not use leftover in another season.

A482DBF6-71AD-48CD-B4D2-466D8F3E10F0.jpeg 27B5FC40-0C3C-48E2-A68E-929C7FBFA8D7.jpeg

I have used powders that had different use rates, as AJ posted. I recently purchased a bottle of liquid from PIWine that calls for just a couple drops per batch, worked terrific on grapes. Then I went to apple and number of drops had to about triple, but better than a huge amount of powder.
The liquid is refrigerated, the powder not. Seems like the liquid has a longer shelf life, but if you use old powder it simply won't work, not spoil the wine I think.

Latest posts

Back