Pectic enzyme , can I add it to this recipe??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bein_bein

Reaction score
I am going to start some carrot wine. Here's the recipe
Carrots
Raisins
Water
Sugar
Acid Blend
Tannin
Energizer
Campden
Wine yeast
The recipe says to boil the carrots then remove carrots and use the liquid base and discard the carrots. I'd like to add some of the carrots in with the raisins in the ferment bag (to impart a little more flavor?) and I'm wondering if I should include 1 tsp of pectic enzyme to help break down the raisins and carrots. Anybody see any problem that might arise?? Thanks!:cool:

while I am probably not nearly qualified to tell you what to do, the book I have has the same recipe but does not state anything about a pectic enzyme. however, there is a section on pectin and says that it is often released during boiling and one should add an enzyme to reduce pectin and aid in clearing due to pectin.

however, I have never done it...I'm just on my first batch now.

As a general rule you should add pectic enzymes to all must that contain fresh fruit, or were made from fresh pressed fruit.

So in this case I would certainly add pectic enzymes.
it will indeed help break down the raisins and might break down any solid residues from the carrots.

You could even do better.
As to demonstrate what I am saying do an experiment:
take 1 carrot, chop it up and do it in a jar. Now add some pectic
enzyme and let it stand at room temperature for 24 hours. look at what
happens.......
You can make carrot juice that way......

Luc

Last edited:
Yes Luc, I remembered reading one of your previous posts that showed the effects of pectic enzyme, that what made me think of adding it to this recipe :D I figured it would help break down the fruits, just wasn't sure if it might cause any problems further down the road though. I am going to add the PE along with the other ingredients. Thanks for the quick replies guys!!
BTW .. here's the tentative label we have planned for the carrot wine :D
carrot2.png

Last edited:
Back