Pecan Wine Recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CellaredGnome

Junior
Reaction score
I have three large Pecan Trees in my yard and I happen to love most pecan based recipes (Pecan Pie, Pecan Turtles, ect.) Does anyone have a good recipe for Pecan Wine? I have considered using an almond wine recipe I have and simply substituting Pecans.

I was the same as you. Wanting to make Pecan Wine but only finding almond wine recipes. From what I've read any oil on the top will be siphoned off at subsequent rackings. I read on Jack Keller's site about some winery in Texas that makes a Mocha Pecan wine that is killer!! We should all put our heads together to come up with that recipe. I think I'll use a combination of my Triple Toasted Pecan Wine And Jack Keller's Coffee wine with the addition of cocoa. Any suggestions will be welcome!
My recipe:
Speakeasy Cellars Triple Toasted Pecan Wine

Recipe file created Sunday, January 10, 2010

INGREDIENTS

• 1 1/2 cup whole pecans

• 1 1/2 pounds unsulfured red flame raisins

• 1 Cinnamon Stick

• 2 Cloves

• 1 lemon, juice and rind

• 1 Orange, juice and rind

• 5 cups packed light brown sugar

• 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient

• 1 crushed Camden tablet

• 1 teaspoon pectic enzyme

• 1 package Red Star Montrachet wine yeast (any wine yeast will do)

• water

METHOD

1. Toast pecans at 300F for 10 minutes in a single layer, then pour into a paper towel lined paper bag to sit out till cool, getting some of the oils out of them. Roll and squish the paper bag, and you should see greasy spots on the bag.

2. Smash roasted Pecans (meat mallet) to break them up a bit, and roast about 10 minutes at 400F till slightly smoking. Pour into another paper towel lined paper bag, roll and squish trying to get more oil out and let rest till cool.

3. Smash roasted Pecans to break them up and roast Pecans at 350F for about 10 minutes, again, just until slightly smoking. Repeat the rolling and squishing in a new paper bag to get MORE oil out!

4. Rinse Raisins, cover with water, bring to boil, and let soak all night. Chop soaked raisins, reserving water for the next step.

5. Add chopped raisins and roasted pecans to a large pot and cover with more water. Simmer for 1 hour, adding water periodically to prevent scorching.

6. Let hot mixture sit for a few minutes. Any oil should rise to the top. Try to skim off as much as you can with a tablespoon or a turkey baster.

7. Add sugar into hot liquid and stir till it melts.

8. Strain out solids and add along with the cinnamon, lemon and Orange rinds into a nylon straining bag weighted with a few marbles, and place into liquid in primary fermenter.

9. Add water to make up to 1 gallon and add crushed Camden tablet, Yeast Nutrient, and Pectic Enzyme.

10. Start Yeast Slurry (recipe below)

11. Let sit overnight. Check specific gravity -- it should be between 1.090 and 1.100. If it’s higher than 1.100, add water. If it’s below 1.090, add sugar.

12. Add yeast slurry. Stir daily for five or six days, until frothing stops. This may be slow to start fermenting.

13. Remove nylon bag, and strain. Siphon into secondary fermentor and attach airlock.

14. Observe the liquid on the top of the secondary. If there is oil, try to siphon or skim most of it off, continuing this process throughout. At bottling time, there should be no oil floating on top.

For a dry wine, rack in three weeks, and every three months for one year. Bottle.

For a sweet wine, rack at three weeks. Add 1/2 cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup wine. Stir gently, and place back into secondary fermentor. Repeat process every six weeks until fermentation does not restart with the addition of sugar. Rack every three months until one year old. Bottle.

Suzi

Looks like a very good recipe. I'll have to give it a try. I'm glad you're sharing your recipe instead of keeping it a secret.:D

Looks like a very good recipe. I'll have to give it a try. I'm glad you're sharing your recipe instead of keeping it a secret.:D

:) It's my first attempt at this recipe. It has a lot of citrus flavor, and if I did it again, I might use acid blend instead of actual orange/lemon so the pecan would predominate. The boiling raisins and pecans smelled very toasty and nice even before I added the citrus.

I pitched the yeast slurry into the primary last night, and this morning it's got a raging ferment going on. You can hear it sizzle from a few steps away.

I'll keep you posted on how things go!

Suzi

I'm curious about boiling the raisins. Is this to get rid of the sulfites? The only time that I used raisins I just soaked them overnight. Or does boiling them do something else to them.

I'm curious about boiling the raisins. Is this to get rid of the sulfites? The only time that I used raisins I just soaked them overnight. Or does boiling them do something else to them.

I'm not sure what boiling does. I just followed the almond recipe's instructions blindly without questioning. Maybe you should make this pecan wine without boiling the raisins, and we can have a taste test after a year. How about that?

Suzi

It would be fun if a bunch of us tweaked that pecan recipe in a few ways, posted our recipes, and then shared our addresses (privately of course), so that we can ship small bottles of our pecan wine to each other. I'm going to start saving small screw top glass bottles for that purpose. We can all decide which recipe makes the BEST pecan wine, and then the "secret" will be out!

Today I discovered a new grocery store called WinCo. Oh my!! They have bulk pecan pieces cheap, bulk brown sugar really cheap, and I am going to start a new batch with no raisins. Just good ole Welches White Grape Concentrate. It cost me $3.39 for 3 cans! Unbelievable!! I think I'll use a pound of pecans, and no orange or lemon. Just triple toasted pecans and acid blend to replace the citrus fruits. I'll post my recipe when I come up with it.

The one I have going now tastes great! The raisins give it a lot of body, and the toasted pecans give it a toasted buttery flavor. I sneaked a shot glass of it. It's going to be a goodie!!

Good luck with yours!!
Suzi

good luck! this is why i actually spit out reason to try. it's good. won't be like ours, but good none-the-less.

you can be mad at me for not sharing the recipe, but would you if you came across something different for commercial purposes? i have more "firsts" but don't need any more "flaming" on here. more secrets? i guess i should be banned! rofl

Dear Mr. Midwest Vintner

good luck! this is why i actually spit out reason to try. it's good. won't be like ours, but good none-the-less.

you can be mad at me for not sharing the recipe, but would you if you came across something different for commercial purposes? i have more "firsts" but don't need any more "flaming" on here. more secrets? i guess i should be banned! rofl

Hahaha! Nobody is mad at you for not sharing. Stuff like this becomes fun. It's a challenge! I'm one of those "anything you can do, I can do better," kind of girls!

You should have posted your recipe and left out a major step or ingredient, like your Aunti Mary would do, and everybody would have been happy!!

I will NEVER compete with you commercially, nor would I purchase any pecan wine from you. This is a home winemaking site, and we love to make wine out of all kinds of ingredients, to be consumed by ourselves and our buddies. If we stumble upon something amazing, then for sure, we will share! "Commercial" alcohol or food production has waaay to many government regulations, legal, and marketing headaches for me and most of us here!

But we have all gone to a restaurant and been wowed by some chef's creation, sat there an analyzed it, gone home and recreated the thing. Sometimes it tastes exactly the same, but mostly home made is just better!

Our disadvantage with trying to replicate your secret is that none of us has ever tasted yours, so we are flying blind, but happy to do so!! Good luck with your commercial venture. Can we expect you to send us small samples in exchange for ours, so we can all compare?

Thanks for your good wishes!
Suzi

I couldn't agree with you more Desertdance. I, like most other people on this site, am here to find out more on how to make wine, hopefully a good wine, but only for my own consumption along with a few friends. I would not want the headache of trying to sell my wine. I'm strictly doing it for the fun of it. As I learn more about it I would love to exchange wines with other home brewers and exchange ideas and recipes.

Hey man, I wouldn’t share it either! Do you think the guy that came up with Dr. Pepper published his recipe? Or McBurgerHut’s “special sauce”?

I think that’s a lot of the fun of it, trying to recreate something tasty anyway. I have a homemade Kahlua recipe I got from a book that I resist giving away. Even though it was a published recipe, I let people figure it out for themselves.

Good luck on the pecan Brew!

You know when we post there is no emotions or tone to those written words. So meanings can be misconstrued. Smilies is a good thing to use to make sure people understand that we are teasing and not making fun of someone. I think it is important that we must always remenber everyone here has feelings and we should not tramp on them.

Julie

You know when we post there is no emotions or tone to those written words. So meanings can be misconstrued. Smilies is a good thing to use to make sure people understand that we are teasing and not making fun of someone. I think it is important that we must always remenber everyone here has feelings and we should not tramp on them.

Julie

agreed, i really like em too. we got some cool ones on this forum. :sn

i don't take things very seriously, but it seems people don't understand where i'm coming from on this. it's bad enough we have to try and start a business in this economy, if we even do. our wines are niche wines. i've got a new one that i really like. more imaginative than anything i've seen on here so far. you guys will get a big :) when and if i can get it out. it's good and comical at the same time. the pecan has been tasted by a lady in Kansas who's friend is on this site. it should be available some day, which i will let all here know when that is. i am not too concerned with wineries making this wine as it's not cheap to make, hard to work, can go bad if not made properly and needs extra ingredients.

i try to add to the forum simply because i like it here. i also like the upbeat way everyone tries to make it and how we all like to make our own kooky wines. i'm doing what you are, but just for sale. it won't ever be big like other wineries as i don't think there's that big of market for it. it's more to help my dad retire (he's dead broke and now he himself is actually broken in the hospital with a broken L1 vertebrae) and for me to get away from city with a fun job.

i commend desert dances effort as she definitely has some knowledge of wine.

Last edited:
Pecan Oil

:u Today I bit the bullet, and strained all the pecans, raisins, and fruit out of the must. The ferment has slowed (especially with the removal of all that fruit) and the SG measured 0.03 this morning. It's still sweet! I tasted it in my morning shot glass. Gonna miss my shot of pecan wine with coffee in the mornings. :b

It has a layer of oil on the top, and it will probably need several rackings to remove the oil and to clear the wine. When I squeezed the liquid from the fermenting bag, my hands were coated with pecan oil. I might have discovered a new cosmetic. Of course I will call it "Huile de noix de pécan." Doesn't that sound exotic? Might make good cookies if you could use it instead of butter. Hmmmmmmmm

I have a shot glass in the fridge at the moment. I'm testing to see if the oily top will solidify like butter does, to make for easy removal. If that works, I'll let it ferment dry, rack it off most of the oil, and maybe do a cold stabilization to get the rest of the oil. This is a fun experiment!

NEWS FLASH! Pecan Oil stays oily! It's your typical vegetable oil, unlike coconut oil, which does harden. So I think skimming and racking will be the only way to get the oil out of this wine. I may try floating some toast on top just to see if I can soak some up. Old timer's often float toast on their fermenting wine. Not sure why they did that, but I can see a reason here.

Suzi

Last edited:
Using a folded paper towel sops it up, too. It took about 7 rackings, once a month to finally get rid of that oily goo on my 1 gallon experiment...now I only fermented 1 gal. pecans with 1 gal. water and 3lbs of brown sugar and yeast...tastes like bourbon...pecan smell, not real taste..I will be using this for blending probably. I CANT STAND IT...but then, I cant stand bourbon.

Using a folded paper towel sops it up, too. It took about 7 rackings, once a month to finally get rid of that oily goo on my 1 gallon experiment...now I only fermented 1 gal. pecans with 1 gal. water and 3lbs of brown sugar and yeast...tastes like bourbon...pecan smell, not real taste..I will be using this for blending probably. I CANT STAND IT...but then, I cant stand bourbon.

Tastes like Bourbon? Hmmmmmmm Yummy!! Looking forward to the aging if this little experiment! Thanks for your input!!

I just strained all the solids out of the fermenter, and I'm making cookies with them. Stay tuned!

Suzi

Using a folded paper towel sops it up, too. It took about 7 rackings, once a month to finally get rid of that oily goo on my 1 gallon experiment...

Thanks grapenut! The paper towel worked great! I'll keep sopping today and rack tomorrow.
Suzi

:) It's my first attempt at this recipe. It has a lot of citrus flavor, and if I did it again, I might use acid blend instead of actual orange/lemon so the pecan would predominate.
Suzi

I think I'll try the acid blend. Do you know what the TA was when you started?

Latest posts

Back