pearsons square question?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopsyKrett

Reaction score
i was looking at the equation and im trying to figure out the "parts" of the problem. please correct me if im wrong,by the equation this one gives me i says 22 parts of wine to 6 parts of vodka to achieve an final abv of 18%. so what im doing is if im making a 3 gallon batch im taking:

128oz to a gallon so im taking 128x3(gal)=384oz

and 384oz divided by 22(parts wine)= 17.45

17.45 x 6(parts vodka)=104.7

so is 104.7 ounces of vodka to 3 gallons of wine the correct amount to achieve an abv of 18% or am i doing something wrong?

Your math seems correct...assuming the wine is 12% abv and the vodka is 40% abv.

Peace,
Bob

i was kinda hoping i was doing it right it just seem like a lot of vodka to put in 3 gallon batch, i just wanted to make sure i was understanding it before i tried it. :r

Just to be clear...I don't know what pearson's square is...I just did the math..if you use 12% at 22 parts, and 40% at 6 parts it will yield 18%.

Like I said...your math looks OK.

I'm actually drinking tequila right now...if that makes any difference.

It's Blanco, if that helps.

I still think your math is good.

Peace,
Bob

You take 3 parts tequila and square it by a shot to the 4th power. This will get you the results you are looking for.

You take 3 parts tequila and square it by a shot to the 4th power. This will get you the results you are looking for.

Can you give me a metric conversion...just to be on the safe side.

I really appreciate that.

::

Peace,
Bob

128oz to a gallon so im taking 128x3(gal)=384oz

and 384oz divided by 22(parts wine)= 17.45

17.45 x 6(parts vodka)=104.7

so is 104.7 ounces of vodka to 3 gallons of wine the correct amount to achieve an abv of 18% or am i doing something wrong?

In these kind of calculations you should not mix weight and volume.
Stick to volume only or weight only.

Luc

I think that you are off a little bit. In your calculations you need to be deviding by 28 parts not 22. You have to figure on the basis of total parts of wine and spirits/gal.. So I think that you need to have 301.71 ozs. of wine and 82.26 ozs of vodka to come up with 3 gallonsof finished product.
Yea it seems like alot of spirits. I add 152ozs./1gal 3cups of brandy to each 5gal. batch of maderia. I was going for 22%.
What are you fortifing and what will your end result be?

Again, please do not mix weight and volume !!!!!

The goal is to mix a certain amount of wine to a certain amount of wodka to obtain 18% alcohol.

You can only make this equation if you know the amount of alcohol that is in the wine and the amount of alcohol that is in the wodka. So before making any calculations you need those numbers.

The amount of strong alcohol added to a wine is different when the wine has 12% alcohol and the wodka 40% as when the wine has 11% alcohol and the wodka 35%.

So before we know what you are using, no calculations can be done.

Luc

Of course Luc is right in stating that the ABV of both wine and spirits will determine your ratio. I figureing at 12% on the wine and 40% on the Vodka. And I have it figured in fluid ounces.

I think that you are off a little bit. In your calculations you need to be deviding by 28 parts not 22. You have to figure on the basis of total parts of wine and spirits/gal.. So I think that you need to have 301.71 ozs. of wine and 82.26 ozs of vodka to come up with 3 gallonsof finished product.
Yea it seems like alot of spirits. I add 152ozs./1gal 3cups of brandy to each 5gal. batch of maderia. I was going for 22%.
What are you fortifing and what will your end result be?

i haven't actually fortified any of my wine yet, i just wanted to understand what i was doing before i started to make a wine that i was going to put vodka or cognac. After reading all of ya'lls posts im pretty sure i understand it now.. thanks to all

Back