Pears!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburtner

Reaction score
My buddy is picking pears today. Might end up with four or five buckets. Planning to core cut sulfite and juice them. Adding leftovers and juice into primary with PE, tannin, oak powder and sugar to 1080 or so.... Checking pH / TA and adjusting to ??? Pre-ferment... Pitching yeast a day or two later...

Any recommendations for initial pH/TA and appropriate yeast would be appreciated.

Tanks!
-jonathan

Today we'll start with six buckets and see how many gallons we get. Yesterday I picked up some medium oak shavings 8oz. Dried Elderberries 8oz. Planning to throw in 4 or five lbs of golden raisins. Today we'll be cleaning chopping pressing - making the juice. Sulfite bentonite and sugar to just under ~1080/1090. I think the pomace and PE will raise it up in a day or so wanna shoot for a bit shy of the mark. I got premier cuvee yeast for this run.

Cheers!
-JoBu

image.jpeg

This is going to turn out very interesting. I was underwhelmed with the juice from three buckets. Ended up chopping all three and filling with water up to the pears.... Pitching the KMS, PE, oak, elderberries, and four pounds of yellow raisins... Let it sit for a day and measured SG ~1050 and pH ~4.2. Added six cups of sugar and some acid blend so will stir well and remeasure this afternoon - planning to add more sugar and pitch Premiere Cuvee. The elderberry has a nice flavor so may pick up another pouch of that plus more raisins. This is a fun experiment but the pears from this tree are not ideal as far as juice yield. The additives might make it work for a very light rose style.

Cheers!
-jb

Following this thread as a coworker just gave me one 5 gal. bucket of pears. Not quite ripe yet so will let them sit for a few days/week or so. I am hoping to get close to a gallon of juice from them.
Unfortunately, it will be "manually pressing" for me. (by hand in a mesh bag).

Bubbling away. Thats three five gallon buckets of pears chopped up in a 20g Brute. I'm amazed at how much color and flavor 8oz of dried elderberries added.

Cheers!
-jb

image.jpg

How much water you added? I heard that whole pears and no water is the way to go.

That would have been my preference. I pressed and these pears were giving up no juice at their stage of un-ripeness. Maybe 1/2 gallon out of the three buckets. That was frustrating.

I filled the 20g brute with chopped pears to about slightly more than 3/4 full then added water up to the top of the pears - was about 4g water. I also added 1g of pear syrup from LHBS since they didn't give up much juice...

They seem to be breaking down fairly ok though now (they'll press nicely in a couple days) for what the original pears were and I had also added about 20c sugar... Estimated original SG ~1090.

I had also added 4lbs golden raisins and 8oz elderberry.

The pears weren't in best shape so trying to fix it - and it looks like the efforts will work out well but next time i'd pass on the less than ideal pears just because I would prefer to make a 100% all juice wine and not mess with syrups at this point.

All the pressings I did so far throughout this run gave up juice with an SG of ~1050.

I'll have to wait and see how much juice total comes out after pressing and xfer to glass. I'm thinking 2x carboys.

Cheers!
-jb

This quite a lot of sediment drop. Anyone have any pointers on how to get that initial drop to be more compact so we lose less wine on the first racking after fermentation is over?

Can I use my AI1 and a course filter as a lees filter or similar?

Thx,
Jb

image.jpg

Did you use any wine clarifier such as Super-Kleer?

81OIQ3eoFvL._SX522_.jpg

Maybe you could agitate just a little to see if it would compact some?

Last edited:
This quite a lot of sediment drop. Anyone have any pointers on how to get that initial drop to be more compact so we lose less wine on the first racking after fermentation is over?

Can I use my AI1 and a course filter as a lees filter or similar?

Thx,
Jb

Wow! Looks like a lot of solids in the secondary. Not that you can do it now, but when pressing, try using a fine mesh bag either inside or outside of your press basket. If you have a press with a spindle that is mounted to the press bottom, you can't do that without punching a hole in your bag, but can use a series of stainless sieves to keep out much of the solids.

With that quantity of gross lees, I know you don't want to leave your wine on them long, so waiting for it to compact isn't really an option. I doubt a filter will do much good, it'll clog so fast. Did you consider racking off the clear liquid from each carboy and putting the lees / sediment into a fine mesh bag and just letting gravity remove the liquid?

Thanks for the replies! I slurried bentonite into the primary phase before pitching yeast but have not used any secondary clearing agents... I do have some Sparkoloid on hand.

These are not quite done with ferment yet but should be done within a couple days. Maybe I can rack into 5g carboys and try separating the gross lee's a bit more... Washing machine on spin with the slurry loaded into some smaller containers??

I'm going to read up on the Super-Kleer too.

Thx!
-jonathan

When I did my pure pear, I ended up racking the wine, then pouring all the lees into a bucket, and plonking it into the fridge for a few days/a week. The lees compacted really nicely.

I recently did a pear wine. This is what I did with information from others. I had a total of 74 lbs of cored pears. I had froze them prior to coring them. I then added water and sugar to a get a sg of 1.090 added acid blend and tartaric acid ( I blended more of the tartaric then the acid blend). I got a TA of 6 g/l . Added bentonite, PE. I had a about a total of 20 gal total. I let this go to dryness (around .992 as I recall). When it came time to remove the wine and put it into carboys, that's when the fun began. It was incredibly thick. I used a stainless steel screen I used for honey extracting to remove the peels and pulp. It was a major pain in the ***. Each gallon had to be carefully poured into a bowl through the sieve, and then the sieve cleaned and start over. I wish I had used a mesh bag for the fruit, but didn't have one on hand. Lesson learned. I also have a significant amount of lees that I have yet to rack. (picking up a small variable capacity container today on craigslist !) I currently have a 6 gal, a 5 gal and about another 2.5 gal in another carboy. I'll see how much this comes out to after my initial rack. Notice the three different colors, the right is the first carboy filled, the left is the second, the middle is the bottom of the fermenting container. Notice the darker color.

20160917_114944_resized (1).jpg

Last edited:
Monkfe
We have about 100 pounds of whole pears in the freezer. Hoping to start them today. I was wondering how your pear wine is doing and
If you have any advice. We will be using a press to extract juice. Also we are thinking about adding pineapple juice or fruit to the mix. The pears are not overly ripe.
What yeast did you use? And any other advice would be great
Thanks

Monkfe
We have about 100 pounds of whole pears in the freezer. Hoping to start them today. I was wondering how your pear wine is doing and
If you have any advice. We will be using a press to extract juice. Also we are thinking about adding pineapple juice or fruit to the mix. The pears are not overly ripe.
What yeast did you use? And any other advice would be great
Thanks

I bottled it a couple of months ago, I blended it with apple wine I made at the same time. I would do the following if I did it again. Use a mesh bag that is made for this as the pulp was unbelievable and very difficult to remove. It took forever using two different wire mesh kitchen type strainer to get the pulp out. Use only tartaric acid to adjust the TA, not the blends as I did. I believe I used a white wine yeast , cote de blancs I believe . Look at the post and I believe someone recommends it in there. Use a very fine filter when you bottle, I used a no 2 I believe and I'm seeing some very fine sediment in the bottle. The wine is good, very light and the flavor is still developing and getting better. I don't know how you would measure the SG if all the fruit are in bags however and I guess you'll have to use a set recipe and adjust according to the weight of the pears . I cored the fruit prior to fermentation, but left the skins on. Hope this helps. Paul

Latest posts

Back