Pears are cheap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pip

Reaction score
Walking passed a local grocer knocking off big unripe eating pears for 80cents a kg. Spontaneously bought 15 kgs. Ripened them up for 3-4 days, chopped them into pieces and tipped them into a big bucket. Added 8 liters of water, pectin enzyme, yeast nutrient, 3 kg sugar and k-meta. Next day pitched 1118, SG at 1.085. Next day, (today) lots of activity and the fruit has formed a cap. Tested ph and its high so i squeezed the juice of 3 kafir limes into the bucket. Never made pear wine before.

Thing is, once you get the basics down, how much fun is it to turn stuff into wine?

My pear might work ok, i'll need to keep track of the ph, i suspect. In any case, an inexpensive experiment and it just might taste great. We country wine makers will rule the world in the apocalypse!

I'd like to one day add pear wine to my fruit/country wine making repertoire.

So far I've not concerned myself with ph for making any of my wines but if a ph meter is cheap enough I just might in the future.

"Just had a customer give me all their pears. Looks like 4 or 5 trees full. I'll be making pear wine soon."

Appearantly so! :)

Sure hope you have enough freezer space, primaries, and carboys. It might take more than a couple of each!

Latest posts

Back