Pear wont clear..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtydog420

Reaction score
Last week I bottled 5 of 10 gallons for pear wine.. I Added super-klear and it was perfectly clear.. Yesterday, I stabilized, back sweetened and add super-klear, as i did with the other 5 gal the previous sunday... This time the wine is not clearing the same way the other was.. The only thing I did different was I boiled canned pears with the pear juice to try and add more flavor as a experiment.. Any ideas?

I used super-klear on 3 gal of pineapple wine yesterday and thats already clear.. The pear hasnt seemed to clear at all yet..

Could be pectic haze. Did you use Pectic Enzyme?

yes I would. Next time do not boil. I'm not sure why you did.

Last week I bottled 5 of 10 gallons for pear wine.. I Added super-klear and it was perfectly clear.. Yesterday, I stabilized, back sweetened and add super-klear, as i did with the other 5 gal the previous sunday... This time the wine is not clearing the same way the other was.. The only thing I did different was I boiled canned pears with the pear juice to try and add more flavor as a experiment.. Any ideas?

I used super-klear on 3 gal of pineapple wine yesterday and thats already clear.. The pear hasnt seemed to clear at all yet..

so you boiled the canned pears for an F-Pack?

if I am reading this right and you did boil them for an f-pack.. they will need the enzyme to break the pectin.. you would have used pectin initially for the wine.. so that's sorted. Yes you can add it now to your wine.. then leave it bulk stored for a few weeks.. the haze should go on its own and the wine will clear.

Allie

Ya.. i didnt think it threw.. i boiled them to reduce the juice with some pear juice to back sweeten. The idea was to add flavor without diluting too much.. I just plan juice with the first 5 gallons. it was already clear so no pectin.. Didnt even think about the pectin being add when I boiled the pears with the juice for the second batch..

Thanks for the help...

OK remember when doing a f-pac add it before you clear. Especially if making one with fruit. Are you gonna back sweeten? If so that may also cloud it again. Just make sure you make a simple syrup and not add sugar direct to the wine.

not planning to sweeten any.. I like my wine dry.. But next time in gonna stick with what i did for the forst 5 gallons.. def made a mistake with the boiled pears.. did not even think about pectin..

Thanks for help tom and Allie.. gonna rack and add some pectin enzyme and let it sit.. wee what happens

Actually you did the right thing in boiling to reduce the water. I thought on my earlier post you did that for the primary.

You have to give it more ime man! Yes most of the time it works very fast but sometimes you just have to give it time.

Back