Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished coring and chopping up all my pears. I now have #32 pounds in the freezer. Going to keep them in the freezer and next week start working on this batch. 3 gal batch using the #32 pounds

Personally, I'm a fan of the "cut into small chunks, sprinkle with sugar, refrigerate for 2 days, freeze for 2 days, thaw for 1 day, then mash with potato masher in must bag" method.... but that's just me but I find that method helps break down the cellular structure well and produces a lot of juice.

Looks Like good juice. how many pounds for all that juice?

Mine are in the freezer for a week and I should thraw and start fermenting next week. I heard while thawing them to but pectin enzymes and sprinkle with sugar to help break them down more. I may do that unless advised other wise. They are chopped up now so should break down pretty quick.

Looks Like good juice. how many pounds for all that juice?

Mine are in the freezer for a week and I should thraw and start fermenting next week. I heard while thawing them to but pectin enzymes and sprinkle with sugar to help break them down more. I may do that unless advised other wise. They are chopped up now so should break down pretty quick.
I actually did not weigh them this time. I know that it would take around a 13 gallon trash can full. I usually do this at the end of the season and pick all the pears left on the tree.....gives extras if needed. Estimate about 70 est. if memory serves. Left overs are eaten or baked.
D5E4DCC1-1A06-41AB-9578-1C8E048BB82A.jpegFE991D43-73EA-43ED-A217-5E5D37EB75DC.jpeg

I have my 32lbs of chopped up pears in vacuum sealed bags thawing. While that is happening I have a question on pectin enzyme and when to add to fruit.

I have read some people add some pectin enzyme to the fruit while it is thawing. This is to start the breakdown Of the fibers faster. Is there any benefit to this? It looks like the optimum temperature for pectin enzyme to increase enzyme activity is 40c. With a good range of 20c - 55c. So it seems better to just wait until it is at least to room temperatures.

Would thawing the vacuum sealed packs in a hot water bath be alright to thaw fruit and get up to room temperature? Or should I let it thaw at room temperatur?

I am going to ferment with the skins on. Should I add tannins or add golden raisins for body?

Looks great! Does it have a nice pear flavor? I have an old seckel pear tree that's at least 75 years old. I want to try it. I also want to back sweeten. I have access to Maple syrup but am afraid that might overpower it.

Yes you can taste the pear. When I backsweeten I am going to try using some pear concentrate to sweeten it. See if I can infuse some more pear flavor.

I did this with bartlett pears this year. I posted on another forum but I juiced some of the pears (which was a real pain) and put them through a garburator and pressed the majority. It was a bit of a mushy mess. It is now ageing nicely in the carboy waiting to be bottled in late jan/early feb. The taste is a little thin so I might cheat and add some concentrate. I also have a bit of mold/whitish film at the neck which I sprinkled with some broken up campden tablet. As I intend to bottle carb I'm trying not to over sulfite though the one tab didn't really do much.

I have done Bartletts the last 3 years. I wash and core them, then put them in the freezer. That helps to break them down and also lets me wait until I have time to start the brew. I thaw them and mash with a potato masher. I don't have a juicer or a press, but this works fine for soft pears like Bartletts. Then I put them in a mesh bag in the primary for 3-4 days.

Pears have a delicate flavor, so I've been working on getting more pear flavor. What I've come up with so far:
  • Use more pears. Currently I am up to 7.5 lbs. per gallon, but I may try 10 lbs.
  • I usually add golden raisins to help with flavor and body
  • Pear skins have a little bit of tannin, but I add just a little more
  • Use a yeast that does not destroy all the flavors. I have used EC-1118 but want to try something else on my next batch
  • Keeping the ABS below 12% helps the flavor
  • Back-sweetening helps to bring out the pear flavor
  • I have been experimenting with oaking

Thanks for the advice! I think freezing is a good idea. I used EC 1118 too but keep reading that D 47 is a good choice. Cheers.

There is a pear tree up the road from me that is absolutely loaded with pears. I asked the lady if I can pick some and she said I could have all I want. I'm going to pick some to can and I want to pick enough to make at least a 3 gallon batch of wine. I can freeze them until I'm ready to start fermentation and in the meantime I want to get everything I need. It sounds like I need to get some white raisins. What is the consensus as to the best yeast for pear wine. I have EC-1118 but perhaps its not the best for this.

Oh-in return I'm going to take this lady some canned peaches, pears and applesauce. She is elderly and has trouble getting around.

I plan to cut up and freeze, but if I run out of time I might freeze whole. We plan to go pick them in about an hour or so. I will store any that aren't quite ripe in the basement and try to pick and freeze from the bunch as they ripen. Many are pretty ripe right now.

Latest posts

Back