Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mintra

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have a pear tree in my backyard and I was thinking about utilizing it and making some wine. I have never made a wine that didn't come from grapes. Does anyone have any recipes for a pear wine?

Thanks.

My suggestion would be to juice the pears and only use the juice for your wine.. the flavour will be better.. or make a pear cider.

also note that pears have natural unfermentable sorbates in them.. so it will end up with a sweeter natural finish.

Pear cider is just juice, citric acid, pectin, campden and a cider yeast pitched 12 to 24 hours later, you can adjust the sugar if you like, I just leave the juice natural and get a low alc in preference.

pear wine is the same.. just use a wine yeast and sugar to 1.085 SG

tannin is a personal preference.. if you choose to add it.. it's a cup of strong black tea per gallon of must.

Allie

I use 5-6#'s per gallon with or without a juices. Slice and core the pears. Then FREEZE them if you dont have a juicer. This helps break down the cellular walls.
Thaw and put them in a straining bag. Once thawed add pectic enzyme and. Add sugar so the gravity is 1.085. Ck the TA, add tannin if you want. Wait 24 hours then add nutrient and Cote des Blancs yeast.

I have 5 gallons of pear wine I will be back sweetening a bit in a few days. I used my fruit press though and yes I used only pears and some sugar. No water.

I started mine at 1.092 I believe so it will be a bit more alcohol. Can't wait to taste the final result.

Latest posts

Back