PEAR WINE SEPARATING?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LONGHORNROBB

Junior
Reaction score
I made some pear wine August/September 2021 and it's been just hanging out in the carboys since, inside a closet inside the house. It is clearing pretty well and the sediment has fallen to the bottom, but the wine is clearly separating (like a black-and-tan) beer. I'm pretty new to the game, can anyone tell me what's going on here and what I need to do about it? as soon as I can get this figured out, I'm going to rack one more time and then bottle

pearwine1.jpg
pearwine2.jpg

You can call it Tequilla Sunrise. :D

My pear never looked exactly like that, but it was difficult to clear. Chuck's advice is solid - if you haven't done yet, now's the time to try more pectic enzyme and/or fining agent (like Super Kleer).

It sure is pretty like that though. Do those of you experienced with fruit wines know if cold crashing will help speed clearing? I have heard it does with grape wines… along with other benefits.

It sure is pretty like that though. Do those of you experienced with fruit wines know if cold crashing will help speed clearing? I have heard it does with grape wines… along with other benefits.
I tried cold crashing with my pear wine, and it didn't show immediate results. It may have helped though - certainly worth a try.

To further the point Bryan makes above, it's probably pectin with a pear wine. Pectic enzyme is something you can add after fermentation, but add double or triple what the directions call for, alcohol makes it so it doesn't work as well. I had a pear that after the third time adding a triple dose of pectic enzyme it cleared out quite nicely. No harm done to taste or bouquet. It turned out to be one of the best pear wines I ever made.

definitely be trying the triple pectic enzyme dose....then the other clearing agents...the taste is amazing...I added raisins (prolly where that darker color is coming from), and some peppercorns (VERY subtle tingle in the body). the haze is truly cosmetic, which I certainly don't want, but it's NOT going to go to waste.

Latest posts

Back