Pear Wine Help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieG

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

Last year I decided to make 3 different types of wine from scratch [Pear, Plum, and Damson]. I got the recipes off the internet and followed the instructions. I made an oven and kept them at a constant 22 degrees C temp and re-racked ever month or so. I thought all three were fermented so I bottled them.

I then kept all three batches in a wine rack in my summer house/shed. The problem I had is at some point all the bottles containing the pair wine popped out the corks. So the wine was obviously ruined. I have tasted one bottle of each of the Damson and Pear, they seem ok.

My question is. Where do you think I went wrong with the Pear wine? Was it not fermented correctly? Or is the issue the changing temperature with it being kept in the shed? I noticed it had happened at the start of the summer.

Any help will be much appreciated as I want to try a new batch this year.

Cheers
Steve

Hi,

Last year I decided to make 3 different types of wine from scratch [Pear, Plum, and Damson]. I got the recipes off the internet and followed the instructions. I made an oven and kept them at a constant 22 degrees C temp and re-racked ever month or so. I thought all three were fermented so I bottled them.

I then kept all three batches in a wine rack in my summer house/shed. The problem I had is at some point all the bottles containing the pair wine popped out the corks. So the wine was obviously ruined. I have tasted one bottle of each of the Damson and Pear, they seem ok.

My question is. Where do you think I went wrong with the Pear wine? Was it not fermented correctly? Or is the issue the changing temperature with it being kept in the shed? I noticed it had happened at the start of the summer.

Any help will be much appreciated as I want to try a new batch this year.

Cheers
Steve

Did you sweeten the wine after fermentation? If so - did you add any potassium sorbate?

If you did not sweeten - what was the ending SG - did you ferment it to dry?

Lastly - did you degass? CO2 build up will cause the corks to pop out as well.

Could also be that you did not degass enough

Did you sweeten the wine after fermentation? If so - did you add any potassium sorbate?

If you did not sweeten - what was the ending SG - did you ferment it to dry?

Lastly - did you degass? CO2 build up will cause the corks to pop out as well.

I am pretty sure I did not sweeten the wine after fermintation, as it tasted quite sweet anyway.

I added a wine stabiliser and a campden tablet before bottling the wine.

SG was about 1.0 as I recall.

When do you degass? As I did not do that unless that is the same as re-racking.

Degass is the technique used to rid the wine of excess CO2.

I usually do it when the wine is done fermenting - as degassing will help clear the wine as well.

There are a number of ways to do it. Vacuum pump, whip/stir, shake, etc.

I use a vacuum pump to accomplish this.

Stevie mentions that the wine was sweet to taste. He added campten tabs and bottled. Sounds like it may not have been done fermenting and as I understand, the campten will not kill an active ferment.
Brad

Latest posts

Back