Pear wine help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caselesss

Junior
Reaction score
Ive got a pear wine that isn't settling. Its been in a carboy sitting for almost 2 months. Ive tried running it through cheese cloth but it just clogs up the cheese cloth. Is there something I can add to it to help it settle faster or do I just need to give it more time?

I'll have to try the pectic enzyme. I put some in a pint jar and tried some bentonite and it hasnt done much of anything either but I didnt know if it would after fermentation. I wondered if Chitosan and keisesol would do anything

My pear was one of my first wines I did. I used maybe 5 times the amount of Pectic Enzyme. I had so much pulp in my primary I did not know if it would everclear.

After primary I transferred it into another bucket with a super fine mesh brew bag. I then placed my racking cane between the bucket and the mesh bag and used my All in one Wine pump to draw most of the liquid out. With the pulp in the bag i was able to swash the bag around allowing the liquid to seep out. The bag contain most of the pulp.

In the end, it cleared really fast. It was clear in a month. I thought it cleared amazing. Beautiful Amber color. It is still ageing in the carboy. I'm thinking about bottling it after 3 months cleared. So maybe the end of January. It is 12% ABV dry. You can taste the pear. I plan to back sweeten slightly to may taste. I plan to try the pear concentrate as a back sweetener to infuse a little more pear flavor as I sweeten it.

I started it on 9/10/2020
This picture you can see a larger mesh bag that I started with. Much of the pulp passed through the large mesh bag.
9/14/2020 - 4 days after pitched yeast

IMG_2184.jpg

Transferred to this fine mesh after primary. It caught a lot of the small pulp.

61CPJfq989L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

After racking from fine mesh bag and sitting for a few days. 9/24/2020 - 2 weeks

IMG_2199 (Small).jpg

after a week racked again.
9/28/2020

IMG_0083(1).jpg

10/8/2020

IMG_2205.jpg

10/21/2020 - Cleared.

IMG_2224 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
My pear wine last year gave me similar jip. I wasn’t prepared to keep losing wine with each racking. I did the additional pectinase thing then left it outside in my shed for a few more months over winter and guess what. It separated brilliantly. I feel your frustration. hang in there.

Code Words for Patience= bulk aging, time, zero rush,
I'll have to try the pectic enzyme. I put some in a pint jar and tried some bentonite and it hasnt done much of anything either but I didnt know if it would after fermentation. I wondered if Chitosan and keisesol would do anything
pectic enzyme better early ferment,,, yet with higher amounts and longer aging, works after alcohol, just slower,,, but still gets you there,,,
Dawg

I don't have my notes in front of my, but what I meant is if the instructions call for 1 tsp / gallon, I put in 3 tsp (or 1 tbsp)/gallon.
Yes. Agree. Intuition and follow your nose. the goal is to 'feel' the process and use your instruments - and don’t forget patience - Time fixes a shite load of niggling issues - let the alchemy sort it

Last edited:
I have learned that pectic enzyme doesn't work as well in the presence of either Kmeta or alcohol. The key is to add pectic enzyme at the right time. Based on what I have learned on these forums, I have adjusted my procedure to do this:
* Prepare fruit, etc., and add Kmeta
* 12 hours later, add pectic enzyme
* 12-24 hours later, add yeast nutrient and yeast

This year I used 7.5 lbs. of pears per gallon. I racked into secondary about 5 days after adding the yeast. After 1 month in secondary it was 95% clear, so I racked again. Since I bulk age for 4-5 months, I know that it will be completely clear long before I am ready to bottle.

Interesting method. Very different to how I ferment my pear wines. However if it works - stick with it.
My method - during the crush phase - I am constantly adding k-meta and pectinase. I add a lot. As, after picking the pears from my trees, I store them for three to five days before crush. Anyway - on the day of crush - I have wild yeast issues starting to fizz etc. So I am constantly adding the k meta and pectinase throughout that period. Which means that I need to rest the pulpy fluid for at least another 60 or more hours before i add any yeast and initiate fermentation. I allow the initial to sit for at least twenty days - sometimes 30 Days. Then rack followed - by several further rackings and balancing (acidity and light oaking) over a period of 8 to 12 months for my still wines. But not so long for the pear that I have selected for a cuvee. It is such an interesting and sensitive wine. Good to chat with another pear wine maker. I live in the Southern Hemisphere so my harvest period is coming up again in two months. More back ache coming up. Cheers

Latest posts

Back