Pear wine help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when I was getting the SG corrected to 1.090 back before fermentation, I did not have a refractor at the time to measure the pulp. So when I was adjusting SG the pulp could throw it off.

well after fermentation the SG is 1.000 so I was getting 12.5% abv. To day I measured with a vinometer. Not sure how accurate they are but it measured 15% ABV. Could SG have raised 20 points from 1.090 to 1.110 from the pulp breaking down during fermentation?

So when I was getting the SG corrected to 1.090 back before fermentation, I did not have a refractor at the time to measure the pulp. So when I was adjusting SG the pulp could throw it off.

well after fermentation the SG is 1.000 so I was getting 12.5% abv. To day I measured with a vinometer. Not sure how accurate they are but it measured 15% ABV. Could SG have raised 20 points from 1.090 to 1.110 from the pulp breaking down during fermentation?
A vinometer isn’t worth the materials they’re made of. Let your taste guide you, if it tastes hot, then work on increasing the body, if it doesn’t, then you’re on track. Good news is that if you back sweeten a tad, it’ll make a world of difference in bringing out the flavors / body perceptions.

In the future, with a thick must, push a strainer down into the must and liquid will flow in, scoop it out to fill your SG testing vessel.

That looks very nice. Just make sure you don't leave too much head space in that large carboy. In the picture with the one gallon container and the carboy I would fill the carboy just a hair higher to where the neck sides are pretty much vertical. If you have to let a container not be topped off - put that container in te fridge for now - until you can find a smaller container(s)
Of course sampling the progress of the wine from the fridge stash is recommended for good quality control. :wy

That has cleared extremely well. Has it cleared naturally or did you add finings. I have only just started drinking my pear wine that I fermented back in February (I am in the Southern Hemisphere). You’ll find that your pear wine will just keep getting better as the bottle alchemy does its work. Put some aside and leave for a year or two. it becomes more stunning with time.

We really like our pear wine and i have enough cut and frozen to make another 6 g batch. Probably to start later this month

Got my pear wine bottled tonight. This was my first bottling session. Went pretty smooth. Taste and looks good.

Attachments

• B9D69582-21A7-49EF-B399-35DA646BA17E.jpeg
    B9D69582-21A7-49EF-B399-35DA646BA17E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back