Pear wine clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jal5

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F9B9A204-64EE-4101-B3D8-2932A732771E.jpeg 5 gallons of pear in secondary now. Looking like it will need to clear quite a lot. At what point should I use clarifying agents now or after several rackings? Usually use Super Kleer or Dual fine.

Last edited:
What was your starting SG? And what was it when you racked to secondary?
I would wait until the SG bottoms out and remains the same 3 days in a row. Rack, and remove off the gross lees add Camden and wait another 3 weeks, rack again and then add fineings if you like.
I generally just wait and time will take care of it. But...patience is a virtue. Maybe someone else has a better way or methods that are more beneficial to your cause.:a1

Orig. SG 1.086
0.994 when racked to secondary.

I’m thinking of letting it sit 3 wks since I added kmeta already then rack and see where I am at.
Joe

Just about two weeks later and with KC added this cleared up amazingly well. Crystal clear in the wine glass. Tastes like a dry white wine hard to compare it to anything. A mild pear taste.

Next step will be bulk aging maybe 8-9 months. Should be a nice summer 2020 wine.

Well - I've wondered how strong a flavor pears would present. You might try a little bench test and back-sweeten it up a little. Most fruit wines really improve in flavor with even small amounts of back-sweetening - I've seen marked improvements raising the SG to 1.000 or 1.002

I was thinking the same thing scooter. I have a full 5 g carboy plus two bottles now so I can do bench testing with one of the bottles. It’s not a bad taste dry just cannot quite describe it. I may experiment with some pear extract if I can find it.

I also have 3 g of white kumquat wine aging...that one really is indescribable!

Fruit wines are quite a varied lot of flavors. Loquat was a good one for me but I only got to do that once due to sourcing of the fruit.

I like the experimental nature of fruit wines. That kumquat gave me nothing but trouble with the yeast starting.

Have you seen my pear wine experience on , Tweaking cheap wine kits and how an Fpac déepens the flavor.
You are correct when you stated about a mild flavor ,my process adds to that end.

Black Currant has become my nemesis for fermentation. Can't get a batch to ferment dry. Next round will be starting with low ABV mark and then step feeding. Love the flavor but grrrrr the process with Currants is tough. Peach - REALLY love the flavor but clearing is a real PITA.

Probably because the tannins add a profile that gives it a flavor above the original intent.

Last edited:
Have you seen my pear wine experience on , Tweaking cheap wine kits and how an Fpac déepens the flavor.
You are correct when you stated about a mild flavor ,my process adds to that end.
Thx Joe I will definitely do an fpac with my fruit on the new batch this year.

I added a spiral of medium American oak to it last week. Very nice addition adding a little crispness to the flavor. Will give it at least another week then backsweeten.

Two weeks on the oak seems good to me. A little backsweetening should bring out the flavors. Not bad.

I think I will aim for more pears per 5 g in the next batch though.

Just started my clearing process my juice came from WALKERS...

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 16
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 17
Just remember the clearing will take longer than normal but the taste will be its own reward.

Latest posts

Back