Pear wine clearing wierd

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtydog420

Reaction score
So I got two batches of pear wine going, one 5 gallon in glass carboy, the other is 6 gallons in a plastic carboy...

The 5 gal glass batch is clearing faster than 6 gal plastic batch... Actually the 6 gal carboy hasnt seemed to changed at all.. Its been about a month, month and a half...

Recipes are the same for both batch's.. started same day from fresh pears

If you don't want to add finings agents, you could try adding some pectic enzyme to it. Won't hurt to try it if you're not in a hurry. I've got the same problem with storebought apple juice.. added some pectic enzyme earlier in the week.. it looks like it's starting to clear now.

Allie

So I should try adding more? I used pectic in the primary.. I got 5 months before i have to bottle it...

So I should try adding more? I used pectic in the primary.. I got 5 months before i have to bottle it...

Well, I don't know your recipe etc..

I add pectic to my own home juiced apples 24 hours ahead of adding the yeast.

I added it to the store juice 12 hours before hand..Didn't work..

you can add pectic enzyme after the yeast has stopped and it will work.. It just doesn't work in the presence of an active yeast.

I'm going to leave mine another 3 weeks and assess the clarity. If no improvement from today.. I will consider using a clearing agent.

Allie

time is on your side. wait and see if you can rack it. then, try bentonite first, as it settles out easy and won't leave any off flavors. the super kleer works like magic, but i think it leaves a very slight flavor.

Latest posts

Back