Pear - pulpy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a pear recently. At the beginning it was like a puree, but at the end the pectic enzyme all but obliterated the pulpy mass.

I was sure I was going to need to use a cider press to get ANY juice out but only ended up with about two softball sized masses in my paint strainer bags after squeezing them. This was from over 20lbs of fruit. You will be racking off thick lees every few months but it will all settle.

Your results appear to have been better than mine. It's been sitting in secondary for a week now and the pulp has separated from the juice. Issue is the pulp is about 75% of the volume. So if I rack off, i'm looking at about 3 gallons of wine. Pictures to come later tonight.

WI Wino,
What are you planning on doing when all is done. Just backsweetening with sugar? other flavors? etc.?

I have some pear (made from canned pears in pear juice, not syrup) aging right now and am trying to figure out what to do to get some more flavor in there or other things to add to it, ie: cinammon, clove, apricot, etc.

Don't know yet. My plan was to let it age until next summer, then taste and see if it needs sugar or other flavors.

Don't know yet. My plan was to let it age until next summer, then taste and see if it needs sugar or other flavors.

Sounds good, I will be keeping an eye on this.

Thanks for sharing your Pear wine experience. I made a Pear Mead last year and also had a massive amount of lees. I racked every 3 months for a year and it was still cloudy. Last week I back sweetened and added 1/2 teaspoon of pectin enzyme, 1/8 teaspoon metabisulfite, and 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate. It is finally clear. Keep us posted.

image.jpg

I like running pear in large barrels using the pulp method. I pull the cap off after 3 days and run through a fine strainer (Amazon) that fits on a 5 gallon bucket. I usually get about 50 percent yield, about 12 pounds per gallon....pure juice! About 75 percent of the racked wine is pretty clear. I strain the last 25 percent, and set on the basement floor to clear. This was a good year for pears, and my friend asked me if I wanted more after three trips and 1300 pounds. No more secondary storage....it's been a busy year!

So I racked off the gross lees tonight. This is what I ended up with

ForumRunner_20131112_214505.jpg

That's a five gallon carboy so figure about 3 gallons I think. Chalk this up as a learning experience, need a press or juicer for the next time.

I went to Dougs and pressed off my pears, but I STILL have a good inch or so that has settled out on the bottom of the carboy. And my pear looks dark...

steam juicer

I've read this with a great deal of interest. I have been steam juicing ALL of the fruit I have been using for the past year. That way I have the juice , but do not have to worry with any pulp or cap. I too have a batch of pear wine finishing up. I used steamed juice and followed my "borrowed" recipe to the T. I now have wine that will not clear. I added sparkalloid ten days ago with no improvement in the clearing. But that's another story. If your not really into caps and dealing with pulp I highly recommend using a steam juicer. Sure has made my hobby a whole lot more interesting.

I just learned about Amylase Enzyme

Starch Haze: Starch hazes form when starchy materials used to make wine are misused, usually by boiling them too long or squeezing their pulp too severely to extract additional flavor. Starch haze is tested by adding 5 drops of iodine to 8 ounces of wine. If starch haze is present the wine will turn indigo blue. Treat with Amylase or Amylozyme 100. Amylase is used just like pectic enzyme is used to treat pectin haze. For each gallon of wine draw off one cup of wine and stir into it teaspoon of Amylase . Set the treated sample in a warm place (70-80° F.) and stir hourly for four hours. Strain the sample through sterilized muslin cloth and add to the bulk of the wine. Leave the wine at 70° F. for 4-5 days. The haze should clear. If it does not, strain the wine through sterilized muslin cloth and then through a vacuum-pumped filter. Amylozyme 100 is used differently. Treat with 1/2 ounce Amylozyme 100 (one tablespoon) per gallon of wine and bring into a warm room (70-75° F.) for a week. The wine should clear

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp

Vacuumpumpman, thanks for that bit of info. I'll see what I have to do about getting my paws on some come Monday. Jerry1

I used the Amylozyme 100 in my fig wine...why
because I mashed and mashed and smashed and squeezed over and over again when in primay...
Now i am more gentle with any of my fruit .

One year later and it's looking pretty clear. Will rack then back sweeten to taste and bottle hopefully soon.

1419389189325.jpg

Back